1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Must Reads

Discussion in 'Book club' started by littlebirdyy, Jul 30, 2013.

1. I am looking for something new to read. Has anyone got a book which they think everyone absolutely must read?!

Mine would be Angela Carter's Nights at the Circus...

2. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

I'm not sure whether everyone absolutely must read it, but The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver is a book that has stayed in my mind for a very long time.

3. 576

576 Established commenter

I don't think there is such a book. At least not in the world of fiction.

Tastes vary too much.

Eg, I thought The Poisonwood Bible was rubbish, along with Pride and Prejudice, Catch 22 and I dunno how anyone can recommend Anna Karenina cause I couldn't get past halfway.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

On the whole I think it's best to root about in charity shops or bookshops reading a bit of this and a bit of that to see what one feels interested in. Tastes differ so widely and there are so very many books. One can only say what one has enjoyed but to make someone else read it would be folly because they might not like it at all.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

That's a coincidence. I was going to come on and suggest The Poisonwood Bible too. I enjoyed it so much that I went back to the beginning and read it again immediately.

To Kill a Mockingbird is a classic which is beautifully written and tugs at the heart strings.

6. I love Poisonwood Bible but I think I prefer, by a whisker, Prodigal Summer

Olivia Manning's Balkan Trilogy comes closest to a must read, for me.

7. Underachiever

I agree, 576 and Nutella, which is why I hedged my reply. As soon as I'd posted I thought about other books I wouldn't want to have lived without reading. I think the dictum is 'must read' - everything else is secondary.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I would go insane if I couldn't read. But it has to be something that engages me. I know some people are able to read anything but I don't have that facility.

9. Have just finished the unlikely pilgrimage of HArold Fry- OUTSTANDING!!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My choice would be A Suitable Boy.

What I am now going to do is look up on Amazon all other people's choices, and get one - or two - of them. I cannot resist reading, or attempting to read (I sometimes give up) other people's choices.

A Suitable Boy kept me enthralled, I have read it several times. So many characters, all fascinating, a colourful life, an enthralling background. Give it a go.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

11. Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been flicking through other people's personal favourites on Amazon, too. The Poisonwood Bible seems to be a very popular one; I will definitely give it a go.

Theo, love your choice, A Suitable Boy is a fantastic book.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I found Vikram Seth's An Equal Music very powerful and had to re-read it after about six months. I haven't read A Suitable Boy yet but have it on a shelf in Oz waiting for me.

Many years ago I read Ved Mehta's account of his childhood and still have the pictures in my mind of his jumping from rooftop to rooftop with other children while flying his kite. He was rendered totally blind by meningitis when he was four but did all the adventurous things that other boys did. In a charity shop last week I found another autobiographical book of his called All For Love that I am finding equally absorbing.

I have much enjoyed novels by Rohinton Mistry too.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I now have Poisonwood and Harold Fry.

Reading the blurb on the latter reminded me briefly of the Hudred year old man who climbed out of the window, which I also enjoyed.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

14. Underachiever

I've got The Hundred Year Old Man and Harold Fry on my kindle for the summer. I keep getting them muddled up; there's a fashion for long titles atm. I also bought The Woman Who Went to Bed For a Year from a charity shop.

I love The Poisonwood Bible, Theo. The characters, the history and the setting are so vivid.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

They are stacked up as the next two to read, so I am relying on you all to be right about PW!

Best wishes

16. Well, I'm right Theo!

Has anyone read anything else by Barbara Kingsolver? I think I've read them all except The Lacuna. Flight Behaviour is her newest. I was uncertain on the first read but loved it on the second.

My favourite is still Prodigal Summer.

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I picked up another few today when I got the Poisonwood one.

Pigs in Heaven, Flight behaviour, The Bean Tree, Animal Dreams and Prodigal Summer. So I shall go for the latter after PWB.

I may owe you a bar of chocolate, Cosmos, if this turns out to be a new fave author!

Best wishes

18. Oh I do hope so Theo - I loved all of them.

Anne Tyler next - or are you familiar with her already?

19. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

One of my favourites too Theo - have you read Paul Scott's 'Raj Quartet' too?

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Stop, stop!

I have already got too many new books today!

Best wishes