1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MUST have benefits/offers of becoming a Teacher?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by geoteach2020, Jun 24, 2020.

1. geoteach2020

geoteach2020 New commenter

Hi all,

Hope this is the appropriate forum to ask this.

I am starting my teacher training in September!

Are there anything I should sign myself up for/take advantage of?

Anything such as discounts/special rates/websites etc?

Has anyone sed the cash back card by Discounts for Teachers?

TIA

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

You used to get a discount at Dorothy Perkins if you show your teachers ID.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I do have a box of rusting staples in my cupboard, two or three bulldog clips and a few of those lovely giant paper clips. I have to admit to considering A4 printing paper a perk and resent having to buy it now. No wonder my ex-employer is thinking about declaring itself bankrupt.

Of course, most of the paper was used for school based printing. Private life - what private life?

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I have one of these from my retirement.

upload_2020-6-25_10-29-8.jpeg

5. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Senior commenter

Some academy chains have employee benefit programmes which have some decent discounts.

The unions have something similar, but I can't say I've ever availed myself of them. But if you mean "perks which come as standard with the job and you don't have to pay a sub for", er... There aren't any.

The holidays are pretty good but it took me about 8 years just to get to a point where I didn't have to work for a lot of them, just to keep up.

6. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Teaching unions have discounts for various things I think....

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And why would you need Kipps generator (or are you going to convert it into a hookah?). :D

blazer, ilovesooty and border_walker like this.
  8. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

Join a union.

colacao17, tonymars, WB and 12 others like this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I had an incident using one a long time ago in another country. Very luckily, no one was killed or maimed. I had another incident in this country not many years after the first but, luckily, no-one got gassed. I took mine when the school closed a few years after I retired and things like chemical apparatus were bound for the skip. I also rescued a distillation kit.

blazer, agathamorse and nomad like this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

There was a third incident after the first two due to laziness and distraction which left a Kipps inseparable.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I recall setting up and priming a few Kipps generators in my first teaching job once I had successfully convinced the HT to allow the purchase of a fine cupboard. Hydrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide. (No call for chlorine in a middle school).

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

One shouldn't let the curriculum prescribe everything. Incident number two.

nomad likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The best benefits I got from teaching were first dibs on the contents of the site manager's skip by the side entrance. I have various bits of ex-school items installed around my property. Another benefit was not chucking some old computer kit in said skip, then selling it on eBay some years later when it became 'vintage'. A shrub I scrounged from the school car park border during a revamp is still growing in my front garden.

More seriously, Union membership brings a few special offers, the most useful of which for me was a free legal consultation on a non-teaching matter. You can also claim professional association (ie Union) membership against tax.

You'll never be short of basic stationary items but that's about the limit of it I'm afraid.

emerald52, agathamorse and Lidnod like this.
  14. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I expect it was very fine indeed :D

[Ah the joys of auto-correct.]

ilovesooty likes this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You can discover the effects of depression and anxiety at first hand.

16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

No.
    In fact many teachers find there are huge savings to be made in other ways. For example by not shopping and never eating out. I saved myself about twenty five thousand pounds last year alone by doing this!
    But you do get to be a like minded professional on here.
    Gold dust.

17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Aw don't put the poor little sausage off! Covid-19 pandemic might be the very thing to turn education around, cut the carp, give teachers greater public esteem and more independence, and see the end of capability witchhunts.
    Yes.
    Yessir.
    That's going to happen.
    For sure.

18. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

If you are doing teacher training at a university get an Totum (NUS) card and sign up for student beans to get discounts.

Join a union as already said.

Take advantage of what free software the university offers (O365 for example)

Join twitter if you haven't already and follow teachers in your area of teaching.

19. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I bet you have a lot of pals coming round... :cool:
    [​IMG]

blazer likes this.
  20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Yes - a NUS card is invaluable.
    After I retired I signed up for a creative writing course, which entitled me to buy a NUS card for 3 years. WOW! Gave me free admission to all sorts of places (e.g. Parthenon in Greece - normally about 30 Euros), as well as discounts at loads of places. Still remember a friend and I having a 2 course meal and a bottle fo wine at Pizza Express for £13 total!!

It was a good course, too. After 3 years I joined another course from the same provider, but by then they had closed this perk. :(

strawbs and agathamorse like this.