1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

muslim working in a catholic school

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarah_apple, Jun 4, 2011.

1. hi i wanted to know as a general question how can a muslim teacher benefit a catholic school. can it bring diversity within the school. btw i will be only muslim teacher working there.

thanks

2. It may be a Catholic school but it still has to teach about other religions I imagine and about cultural diversity so you would brig with you a wealth of first hand information. A most useful assest I would say.

3. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

All religions are basically the same. So what difference does the brand make?

4. oh - how inciteful and helpful! [​IMG]
    op - have you discussed with the ht what input they would expect/would like from you?
    sounds interesting

5. There are some fundamental differences between the religions.
    I remember taking having a teaching practise at a catholic school and I just didn't take part in the ritual etc.

6. Well said[​IMG]

7. im trying to write personal statement as a catholic school wants to support me for the gtp. so if you have any ideas as to how being a muslim can help a catholic school i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

8. Assalamu alaikum.
    If there are Muslim children in the school then you will be both a reassuring presence for them and a role model. It can be hard being in the minority, when the others are making the sign of the cross before lessons, going to mass etc., and possibly not be allowed to openly practise your religion (by praying or wearing hijab for example), just seeing a Muslim person on the teaching staff could boost the children's confidence. You will show them that it is possible to keep your identity/religion and be accepted as a professional in a non-Muslim environment, making a positive contribution and playing an active role in society.
    I think the school will find that as a Muslim your morals and values will be closer to those of the ethos than an atheist.
    You yourself may feel more comfortable in a catholic school than a non faith school as long as you are allowed to withdraw from acts of worship etc. You may find, for example, that Sex Ed is taught in a way that is more in line with muslim values, and that the staff are generally more religious and respectful of others who hold religious beliefs.
    A friend is the only Muslim member of staff in a catholic school, and she is often asked to go into the classes and talk about Islam. She is only the school nurse!
    I have also worked in catholic schools and found that, despite a lack of knowledge about Islam, staff and pupils showed nothing but a friendly curiosity about my religion, and were always kind and polite towards me.
    I have also seen how having a Christian teacher in a Muslim school has been beneficial in strengthening bonds and friendships across religious divides, and was a "living resource", if you like.
    Muslim teachers are under-represented in most state schools, I expect, in relation to the pupils. My daughter was so excited to have a practising Muslim teacher in her state school, especially as she was young, good at her job and well respected by all the students, regardless of religion. It really boosted her self esteem.
    In the current climate it's important that we are out there in the community, otherwise people will only believe what they read in the Daily Mail as they won't know any real Muslims.
    All the best xxx

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Surely this shouldn't be allowed though? If working in a faith school you should model that faith for the children.

10. Teachers are able to withdraw from acts of worship in the same way as children are. However it is not possible to force someone to take part in an act of worship even if they are present in the room. You can only invite them to take part. I know of many athiest teachers who work in C of E schools and sit with their class during collective worship and obviously don't pray when asked to but remain respectful of other people who do wish to.

11. This is up to the school. They may wish to employ someone and allow them to withdraw from acts of worship if they can't find a catholic teacher suitable for the post. This happens quite a lot, I believe. There are non-muslim teachers in muslim schools too, of course they wouldn't be expected to pray and fast! Worship should be genuine, not done for show. Without the belief, what's the point? This is a far more important lesson for the children to learn, in my opinion.

12. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

As long as you support the ethos of the school, are openly respectful of the Catholic faith, and willing to teach the Catholic RE syllabus (2 hours per week) you'll be fine. You won't be able to become Headteacher (Catholics only) but I assume that isn't a problem at present. The current RE syllabus for Catholic Primary schools doesn't have any materials for teaching about other faiths, so each individual school has to to put that part together. See http://www.tere.org/index.php?id=53 for the syllabus of 'The Way the Truth and the Life' scheme. The 'Here I Am' scheme is the old one - some schools have chosen to stay with it, I understand. I'm not Catholic and have no problems. Info on secondary school Faith teaching is on the same site.

13. Thanks guys for your input but you havent answered my question. What can i write about this on my personal statemen that would impress the readers.

14. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Perhaps you are focussing too much on your faith and not enough on your personal qualities with regards to teaching and learning.
    In your personal statement you should be concentrating on describing how you feel your personal qualities and experience would enable you to continue and augment the work of the school.

15. There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school.<font size="2">There are 170 Muslim schools and 11 are state funded. There is not a single non-Muslim child in those schools. Non-Muslim parents do not want to send their children to Muslim schools.</font>

A report by the Institute for Community Cohesion found that native parents were deserting some schools after finding their children out numbered by pupils from ethnic minorities. Schools in parts of England are becoming increasingly segregated. The study focused on 13 local authorities. Many of the schools and colleges are segregated and this was generally worsening over recent years. This is RACISM because British society is the home of institutional racism. The shortage of native children in inner city Bradford is because of the shortage of native parents. The majority of native people remaining anywhere near the centre of Bradford are old and too poor to move, otherwise they would. Bradford has a huge Pakistani population of around 30 sq. miles around the city centre and it is growing pretty rapidly. There is absolutely no chance of the Pakistani community integrating because there is no one to integrate with.
    Some people may be interested in an Ofsted report about a school which is typical for the area, such as this Ofsted report shows that out of 390 kids in the school only 2 are natives, 2 are Indian and the rest Pakistani.

The report mentions:-

Nearly all of the pupils on the school roll speak English as an additional language and speak Urdu/ Punjabi at home.

I'd like to know what David Cameron would propose for such a school. Does he honestly think that there would be an uptake for a 25% quota for natives? The man is living in cloud cuckoo land.
    British schools are not doing enough to tackle racism and promote race relations. Many teachers are unaware of racist attitudes amongst pupils. Schools have a responsibility not only to deal with racist incidents but also to prepare pupils for life in a multicultural and multiracial society.
    <font size="2" face="Arial">Children from minority groups, especially the Muslims, are exposed to the pressure of racism, multiculturalism and bullying. They suffer academically, culturally and linguistically: a high proportion of children of Pakistani and Bangladeshi origin are leaving British schools with low grades or no qualification. </font>
    Bilingual Muslim children should have their own state funded schools with their own bilingual Muslim teachers. The move will help state schools to have reduction in the class sizes. It will relieve native teachers to concentate in teaching their own children. Prince Charles, while visiting the first grant maintained Muslim school in north London, said that the pupils would be the future ambassadors of Islam. But what about thousands of others, who attend state schools deemed to be "sink schools"? Muslim schools, in spite of meager resources, have excelled to a further extent this year, with two schools achieving 100% A-C grades for five or more GCSEs. They beat well resourced state and independent schools in Birmingham and Hackney. Muslim schools are doing better because a majority of the teachers are Muslim. The pupils are not exposed to the pressures of racism, multiculturalism and bullying.
    <font size="2" face="Arial">Similarly, Black , Hindu, Sikh and other community children should have their own state funded Schools with their own teachers. Native teachers are not role models for minority children during their developmental periods.

There are hundreds of state and church schools where Muslim children are in majority. In my opinion, all such schools may be opted out as Muslim Academies. There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school.
    IA</font>

16. The converse of that is there is no place for a muslim child in a non-muslim school.
    Are you really saying that?

17. Hi Sarah

I work in reception class in a catholic school and I am not catholic. I am expected to teach the Catholic values and join in with all the celebrations eg Mass.I cannot imagine that our headteacher would employ a teacher who was not prepared to do this. You don't have to be religious to work here (and many are not) but you do need to follow the Catholic teachings. If you can't then you are in the wrong school. In your personal statement you need to highlight the similarities between the two religions which will enable you to do this. You can then go on to say how your religious knowledge will help teachers in KS2 especially learn about other cultures and religions. I would then concentrate on your personal skills that will be valuable to the school. Have you an additional language? Have you travelled around the world and have experiences that you could relate to the children. I am not sure if you said what Key stage you will be teaching but look at their curriculum and see where your strengths match it . You will also need to say what area of learning you think you can bring most to eg, science because you belong to a wildlife group outside school.
    Good luck. Hope this helps.

18. Hundreds of church schools with majority of children are muslims? Interesting.
    Wonder if we would stand for a islamic school with majority of christians?
    Where this is happening because parents have no choice to send their child, for example, location etc.. these faith schools should become secular state schools.
    As indocrination of muslims in Cof E or catholic schools is not right, nor would it be for christians in an Islamic school?
    End of faith schools?

19. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

As a Catholic parent, I would expect a non- Catholic teacher to show and to model to my children a respect for my faith, I would expect them to be interested in learning about, but not neccessarily agree with, what the Catholic religion believes in and to respect the fact that when they do not know the Catholic prespective on things/issues, they are honest , admit this and then refer the question/query to another member of staff who would know. However, having worked in predominantly Muslim schools myself- i.e. where the majority of the children were Muslim, when I was a younger teacher, I think you will find there is much common ground between yourself and Catholic staff. Good luck with it all.

20. How true!!!!