1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Muslim countries avoided by three quarters of British holidaymakers, according to survey

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Well, what about you?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...lidaymakers-according-to-survey-a6681041.html

A study assessing the changing habits of British holidaymakers has revealed that three quarters of people actively avoid Islamic countries as destinations.

The survey carried out by discount holiday website Travelzoo revealed the refugee crisis and the fatal terror attack on tourists in Tunisia have directly influenced how people plan their overseas holidays.

Some three quarters of the 2,000 UK adults who took part in the survey admitted that they are actively avoiding Islamic nations when deciding where to travel.

2. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

Never considered holidaying in an Islamic country. Just too unsuitable, medieval, misogynistic, homophobic and alcohol intolerant.

3. Morninglover

I have visited Turkey twice - some years ago, it is true - and it was certainly none of the things you state then....

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Good enough reasons!

5. BobbyPhilips

Does it count as an Islamic country?

6. Morninglover

Vast majority of the population were, are, Muslims....

7. BobbyPhilips

Turkey is a secular state. I am unclear as to the definition of an Islamic country in the original article.

8. Morninglover

99.8% of the Turkish population are registered as Muslim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey#Religion

9. BobbyPhilips

I see the definition now. Same as France is a Catholic country.
    I prefer Catholic,Protestant or Orthodox countries for holidays

10. Morninglover

Not entirely:

In 2009 only 64% of the French population declared themselves to be Catholic, and only 5% of the population attended church regularly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France#Religion

11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

If the drive to spread Islam world-wide is successful, it won't be a problem because there won't be a choice.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd love to go to many Muslim countries.. Egypt for the Pyramids, Tunisia for Carthage, Turkey for Istanbul, Syria for Palmyra etc.

I also know I won't be with the Muslim world in the present state of tumult that it is.

13. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Is it perchance because they are generally poorer countries and people who go abroad generally like to go to richer countries?

14. Morninglover

Do we prefer to go to richer countries?

In recent years I've been to Greece, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic:- all poorer, plus France (much the same?), Italy (a bit poorer?) and Germany (the only richer one...)

15. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

The report is a little unclear. It says that 3/4 of people actively avoided Islamic countries, and that over half were deterred from booking a holiday anywhere abroad, so there has to be some overlap there, which makes me wonder how the questions were phrased. I guess it makes sense with the incident in Tunisia and the refugee crisis around Turkey and Greece, that North Africa and the Eastern Med are probably not as popular at the moment. But the report does make it sound like tourists are avoiding countries because they're largely Muslim, when this isn't necessarily the case.

16. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Well I guess you are in the 25% that is why I used the word generally x

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've been to Morocco, Tunisia, Libya and Egypt in the past but probably won't be going again in the near future. I went to Turkey last year and know people who went this year.

18. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I've had holidays in Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, Lebanon, and Jordan. I have never had any problems in any of the countries and have bought alcohol easily. I have also visited Syria and Libya, beautiful places but no alcohol, not that I tried to get any.
    Egypt, Coptic Christian as well as Muslim, Lebanon Orthodox Christian and Muslim, Syria, Aleppo was a centre for Catholics, Orthodox Christians as well and Muslims, Jordan, Christian and Muslim.
    I can say that Jordan is a safe country as well as a beautiful one.

19. Morninglover

I think you'll find Spain, Greece & Portugal, all poorer, are among the most popular tourist destinations for Britons... Not richer countries like, say, Switzerland, Norway & Finland...

20. Morninglover

Better let the Foreign Office know then - their website says:

Summary
    • Still current at:
      6 October 2015
    • Updated:
      10 August 2015

Latest update: Safety and security section (crime) – increase in cases of sexual assault against foreign women
    The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to within 3km of the Syrian border from the Sad Al-Wihdeh Dam up to, but not including, the Jabr crossing. This is due to the risk of small arms fire and stray mortars in the area. See Border areas

Around 73,500 British nationals visited Jordan in 2014. Most visits are trouble free.

You should avoid large crowds, political gatherings and demonstrations. Violent incidents have taken place at the Zaatari refugee camp and on several university campuses. Stay away from downtown Amman and the centres of other towns and cities after Friday midday prayers. See Political situation

Although widespread strike action in Petra and Wadi Musa continues, access to the main Petra site is unaffected. Check with your travel company and local media for updates.

There is a general threat from terrorism.

Which wouldn't encourage me to go....