1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

musical rapture

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Sep 5, 2015.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

There are Schubert and Schumann songs that have that quality. Others too, but I'm trying to keep my list small. I've just listened to Van Morrison's 'Like Young Lovers Do, which is as rapturous as anything.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Bach's St John's Passion does it for me. Can't pinpoint any modern music although there's lots I enjoy.Some electronic music can certainly takes you somewhere else.

3. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Maria Callas singing Casta Diva makes me want to sob.....

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

www.youtube.com/watch

Ave Maria by Giulio Caccini.

It has to be played on the cello.

Beautiful-yet so sad.

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Gundela Janowitz singing Beim Schlafengehen.

Gerhild Romberger coming in on 'O Roeschen Roth" from Mahler 2 at the Proms a couple of years ago. I have never heard anything like it.

6. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Allegri's Miserere makes my heart leap.

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG] One of my favourites of all time. I may have posted it on here in the past. Sublime.

Can't post youtube links directly anymore, but for those who are interested

The Way Young Lovers Do

8. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I used to like VM but the roofing salesman that ripped me off reminded me of him! (when older).

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Oh no!

You could always get all your VM albums out and a black marker pen, scribble a different hairstyle, moustache, beard, glasses on VM's face . . . .job done. Or you may need to kill the roofing guy.

Less drastic perhaps, invite the roofing guy round again and scribble on HIS face and shave off his hair.

10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt9AyV3hnlc&feature=player_detailpage]

Tutankhamun's trumpets being played. I first heard this way back in 72, when the exhibition first came to London, and it 'spooked me out'.

11. May2

May2 Established commenter

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

A hymn can be moving even for an atheist. How great though art starts so quietly with huge promise of a great chorus. I remember hearing it at a Pentecostal church we had gone to for a Billy Graham rally in about 1964. I'd never heard it before and when the congragation lifted their hands and their voices - well!

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

www.bbc.co.uk/.../b068tz6j

Go 25 minutes in.

Bobby McFerrin. Whatever you do today do THIS! DO IT! ALL OF YOU.

[View:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b068tz6j]

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My favourite piece of classical music is Erik Satie's Gymnopedie. For a bit of rousing pop I like Elbow's One Day Like This.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Inky might like this , too.

17. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Always a woman to me is apparently my song according to someone. Fits.