1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

musical medley script anyone??

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Dawn-Marie, Dec 16, 2010.

1. hi,

last year we did Annie as lots of girls - is there a good one that has lots of different musicals in already or would I have to write it!!!!!! - also how much would it cost roughly.
    Head of music keen to do High school musical!!!!!

any help would be great
    thanks

2. hi,

last year we did Annie as lots of girls - is there a good one that has lots of different musicals in already or would I have to write it!!!!!! - also how much would it cost roughly.
    Head of music keen to do High school musical!!!!!

any help would be great
    thanks

3. You still be obliged to pay rights for the individual songs so it could get very complicated and expensive. It might be better to go for an already existing show?

4. Your school or local authority will almost certainly already pay performance rights for performance of individual songs by the music department for use in concerts and assemblies. That same PRS licence also applies to Drama departments. It is common for drama departments to add songs and music to plays; they never apply for extra permissions to do this because they are covered by the school's exisiting PRS licence. Why don't you get some some pop songs and write your own script. I've heard of this done with 'Lysistrata' - a rock and roll version; 'Midsummer Night's Dream' with 1930's songs and another version set in the '60's with psychdelic music. I daresay there are plenty of other examples.
    There are two pop music exceptions: you are precluded from using Elvis and Beatles songs with anyone else's words. I wouild also check with PRS (the Performing Rights Society) to see if their are any similiar exclusions on music from 'shows'.

5. brilliant thanks for the advice [​IMG]

6. There are. You can't.
    They exlude from use ".....Music which is specially written for dramatic performances, such as
    musicals, operas and ballets (also known as Grand Right works). To use
    this music, you need to get permission from the rights holder directly,
    which is usually the music publisher".
    Why not try an already-written spoof show: Forbidden Planet?

7. hi, I had forgot all about that show! I have done that before in a previous school many moons ago - don't suppose you know where to get a script from do you????

8. thanks really helpful. sorryfor taking so long to reply to it [​IMG]