1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by callum97, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Right I am teaching music from the 1960s this term... I have appraising some 60s songs, researching groups and also Beatlemania..

Have I missed anything big out??? I am going to cover certain songs in PE where children will learn the dances

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

You don't say what age group.
    If it is Upper KS2 (not really suited to younger ones) then what about the development of Minimalism in music? Obviously you won't want to go into it too deeply - it is studied at KS3, but there are some interesting composers of the time that you could have a brief look at.
    Steve Reich and Terry Riley are the first that come to mind. You can do some simplified work with the class using rhythms - either clapping or with woodblocks or claves.
    There's a good visualisation of Reich's clapping music here which shows how the parts start together and then one part shifts a beat - eventually the parts come together again.
    http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/01/22/a-visualization-of-steve-reichs-clapping-music/