1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music week ideas much appreciated

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Bx44, Aug 5, 2011.

1. I have had some great help lately on TES and am hoping for some more :)
    I am hoping to organise a school music week at the end of the year and was wondering if anyone has done anything similar within their primary school?
    I was hoping to invite in local musicians but was wondering if anyone had any activity ideas appropriate for the whole school, I know SingUp is a great free online resource which I use regularly.
    Thank you [​IMG]

2. I have had some great help lately on TES and am hoping for some more :)
    I am hoping to organise a school music week at the end of the year and was wondering if anyone has done anything similar within their primary school?
    I was hoping to invite in local musicians but was wondering if anyone had any activity ideas appropriate for the whole school, I know SingUp is a great free online resource which I use regularly.
    Thank you [​IMG]

3. Making musical instruments from scrap/recycled materials puts another slant on activities. Saw some great ones in a school where various lengths of plastic tube had been fixed to a rail (like a clothes rail) and then decorated, as well as the usual drums etc from tins and containers.

4. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

Gosh you are planning ahead, or maybe you mean at the end of 2011 rather than the school year. If you haven't already done it to to death, music around the world offers lots of opportunuties for singing, listening, inviting in music groups, dance, composing etc Each class could pick a country. Linking music to art also works well if you want to include any art/ drama/dance - Pictures at an exhibition is a good introduction.

5. Yes I did mean end of this year, I'm not worrying about July 2012 just yet :), thanks for the idea to link each class to a countries music - fantastic.

6. We had a Music and Creative week last year, taking the theme of "Carnival". EYFS / KS1 focused on Caribbean Carnivals and KS2 looked at the different purposes of Music - Carnival and celebrations through to protest music. As well as listening to different music and making crafts / musical instruments from other countries, this lead us onto songwriting, composing, appraising genres of music they'd never heard before, and a big debate about whether songs and music were a way people could change the world!
    Also had a fantastic one-man Caribbean workshop in - got every child (and most adults!) in the school playing steel drums.
    Sorry, I got a bit distracted there - the main thing I wanted to say was that we tried out 'vertical' classes for a Caranival afternoon. Within Key Stages (EYFS and KS1 together, KS2) we divided the children into classes for the afternoon, which covered all the year groups in that key stage. Each teacher then planned something 'linked' (however vaguely, wherever their strengths and confidence were!) to our Carnival theme - they had mask-making, Stomp!, banana boats, musical instruments, T-shirt making.......

7. What about giving learners a theme or topic and allow them the opportunity to create and edit their own music videos? I did this and it worked brilliantly. It also opens up doors for self evaluation and learner voice..