1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music training courses for reception teacher

Discussion in 'Music' started by doufu, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Hi I wonder if anyone can help? I am a reception teacher who loves music (but doesn't play an instrument) and only had three hours on teaching it in my PGCE course 5 years ago. I try to include singing and music in class and have occasional helpful input from colleagues. But I would really like to develop my skills in teaching music in early years/KS1.
    Is anyone aware of good training in this area, in London? Either 2/3 day courses or something ongoing that would spread over a year.
    Many thanks!

2. Try contacting Sing Up - they have regional training courses - you can see what is coming up on their website. Also perhaps Youth Music. You could also try your local authority music service - they will be able to point you in the right direction.

3. Without a shadow of a doubt the best training a primary school teacher could go on for music is the Voices Foundation 5 day methodology course. I am a qualified Voices Foundation Local advisory teacher, a classroom teacher and a peripatetic music teacher. I went on the 5 day course a few years ago and from the moment it started I knew that the voices foundations method was THE method of teaching music. They also are introducing an early years course. AND they have just published a great new resource pack called inside music, which is an update to their publication 'Growing with Music' all of which are available through their website. INVALUABLE resources in my opinion. DO IT!!! You will not regret it.

http://www.voices.org.uk/courses/5-daycourses/