1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music tour to Belgium

Discussion in 'Music' started by njm102, May 24, 2012.

1. I'm organising a music tour to Belgium this summer and I'm just finalising the itinery. Just wondered if anyone has got suggestions for good excusrions for 12-18 year olds in the area? We are based in Ghent, but will be doing one performance in Oostende and one in Bruges.

Any hints/tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. I'm organising a music tour to Belgium this summer and I'm just finalising the itinery. Just wondered if anyone has got suggestions for good excusrions for 12-18 year olds in the area? We are based in Ghent, but will be doing one performance in Oostende and one in Bruges.

Any hints/tips would be greatly appreciated!

3. cmf

cmf

The river trip is a must and the food in the second cafe opposite the booking office is perfect. Make sure you tell them to watch out for trams as they walk round the streets, A must see is the Saint bavo cathedrial, dont bother with St nicolas church.
    When in Bruges a trip up the tower is a must (from the film "In Bruges")
    If they want to take something home for a gift, walk round the back streets and you will find Bruges lace shops which sell litttle waist coats for wine bottles for about 3-6E
    The river trips here are a must as well.
    Have fun!

4. Thanks for all your help.
    I'm staying in De Draeke Youth Hostel. Have you stayed there? Our tour overlaps with GentFest - have you been?

5. If you can make it to Bruxelles for a day, the Musical Instrument Museum is very impressive and intereactive. You can also easily plan a performance there - they have a lovely steinway in the recital hall - for no hire charge! Personal message me if you want the contact details of people (I went a couple of years ago, so I guess they might still be there!)

6. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Yes, we stayed at the hostel - very friendly and helpful and right in the centre. GentFest is amazing - it will solve your entertainment problems but is very busy so keep an eye on all the students. Each square in the city has a different performing venue set up with live acts all night. Enjoy yourselves.

7. ineedsleep

ineedsleep New commenter

Book a concert in bobbejaanland. You get reduced entrance to the theme park, they meet you at your bus with a van and take all your equipment to the stage and bring it back afterwards. There are good rides and plenty to do for the day.
    I also recommend a boat trip in Bruges and it is a nice place to give them some free time round the shops. We gave them free time in Oostende too, plenty to do for a couple of hours.

Enjoy, I live trips to Belgium. Get a competition going for who can photograph the most small dogs in dresses, kept our lower school (and some staff) entertained!
    Ins