1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music Topic - what things can we do??

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by meda103, Feb 7, 2012.

1. HI out topic for all of next Half Term is Music. So far we are making musical instruments, looking at music from around the world and our role play area is a recording studio.
    But does anyone have any other ideas of things we can do?? As am racking my brains to keep it interesting for 6 weeks!! Also any ideas for another music role play area? We have had a few shop based ones so didn't really want to do a music shop!
    Thanks everyone!!

2. HI out topic for all of next Half Term is Music. So far we are making musical instruments, looking at music from around the world and our role play area is a recording studio.
    But does anyone have any other ideas of things we can do?? As am racking my brains to keep it interesting for 6 weeks!! Also any ideas for another music role play area? We have had a few shop based ones so didn't really want to do a music shop!
    Thanks everyone!!

3. What about the science behind sound - vibration in water, feeling vibration , how sound travels , sound prrof- enhancement - use of a funnel and tube simple stethoscopes, how do animals hear elephants large ears , rabbits ears etc, Timbre - quality of the sound investigate different sounds from materials, paper, metal wood etc.

or High /low sounds use pictures above and below a line and paly on chime bars , descending dots ascending dots
    Simple notation using notes to represent the childrens names tom= crotchet.

take the music outdoors using recycled bottles and dustbin , saucepan lids to make your own band.
    use instruments to tell a sound story
    Cant really think of anything for your role play excepts a tage an microphone for xfactor singing competion or a stage for any form of musical entertainiment.

4. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

http://childsplaymusic.com.au/2012/01/17/water-play-music-play-children-a-natural-combination/

5. hurny

hurny New commenter

Is there a reason why your topic has to last for 6 weeks? Are you planning for the children's interests as well?
    Perhaps you could introduce the activities you have already thought of then see where the children's interests take you.
    However, here are some ideas:
    You could introduce different genres of music, such as classical, pop, rock etc and discuss the differences, likes and dislikes. Introduce them to musical theatre tunes, there are quite a few child friendly ones in the West End at the moment.
    If you are listening to music from around the world, perhaps try to get hold of musical instruments from different cultures. Maybe a parent or someone from your community can come in and play an instrument.
    For ICT, if you have 2 Simple, I think there is a programme where children can make their own tunes using the different instruments.
    Dancing to music, interpreting the beats/rhythm. (Ribbon dancing)
    Peace at Last is a good story to use musical instruments (the noises that father bear hears).

6. Thank you so much for ideas! Yes unfortunately we have to do it for 6 weeks (that's out of my hands!) but with the ideas you guys have given me, I'm feeling much more inspired :eek:)
    But still racking my brains for a role play area....!

7. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Stick a tape recorder/mp3 recorder/digiblue and set it up as a recording studio, maybe