1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music that gives you goosebumps.........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Oct 16, 2019.

1. caress

caress New commenter

This video and song remind me of my late dad and always reduces me to tears. It's so beautiful.

alex_teccy likes this.
  2. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Established commenter

Goosebumpy part is at 2:40 of this exquisite and little-known treasure.

A masterclass in how to build tension, ending in an almost like planetary ending where Walton gives it to the audience with both barrels!

How do you make people feel nostalgic, melancholy and sad? Rachmaninoff has the answer! This symphony was so badly performed at its premiere, Rachmaninoff left the auditorium and rode around on trams for the rest of the evening. He needed threrapy to emerge from the subsequent depression.
    The entire symphony is worth a listen, it's where James Horner pinched his main theme from.

Bartok giving us some Lydian shivers

And some spooky vibes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtRSLozhTqQ
    Baba Yetu

George_Randle likes this.
  3. alex_teccy

Good song- you can hear Nik Kershaw in the song. I was a big fan of his as a kid, hes' musically very intelligent- reminds me of the opening to Human Racing

caress and nomad like this.
  4. George_Randle

George_Randle Occasional commenter

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Only just come across this string. Some great music here. My song is a very personal one and I'm afraid rather low brow, taking me way back to my youth. My sister came home with "Please Please me", the just released Beatles first LP and we put in on the record player ( a stone age version of streaming ) and I heard this song. Haven't been able to find the actual version on the LP but this will do. The goosebumps bit is when I think of all the water under the bridge since.

Rock on All !!

Or as Ringo would say -- "Peace and love".

6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The music from the film ‘Last of the Mohicans ‘

coffeekid likes this.
  8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This is beyond incredible:

alex_teccy likes this.
  9. alex_teccy

Epic film scores FTW

10. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

Billy Joel : Always a woman..........I dunno why it's just Ohhhhhhh mmmmm

11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Massed male voice choirs singing Morte Criste. The words are from 'When I survey the wondrous cross' but arranged to a different tune by Emrys Jones. I've sung this myself in many massed male voice choir concerts and it never ceases to raise the hairs on the back on my neck.

Here it is sung by massed male voice choirs (I'm not there but how I wish I could have been) with a brass band and ladies choirs joining joining in the last verse. Majestic and glorious!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...7D6D886048CAB332CDD87D6D886048CAB33&FORM=VIRE

12. moose2

moose2 New commenter

Poirot theme tune always sent shivers down my spi e because I knew it meant work the next morning and anxiety. Not any more though :)

Shedman and smoothnewt like this.
  13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Especially the final movement!
    (And you can see where the leitmotif in the film Jaws comes from in its opening bars.)

14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

We went to the Albert hall last night to see Squeeze in concert. To be honest I'd rather have been going to see a classical concert there, but it was a good night out. Heaven 17 were the supporting act, and they were superb - better than Squeeze (even my husband conceded this, which is saying something as Squeeze is one of his all-time favourite bands).

We were up in the gods, which gave us a fantastic overview of the proceedings. There was something very poignant about watching a whole audience of fifty and sixty somethings gently swaying and bopping to the sounds of their (our) youth. This one really did move me to actual tears of nostalgia:

15. George_Randle

16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I love this version.

17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

The theme from "Harry's Game"

18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

And this song gives me proper raised hairs on my arms. And it makes me cry.

19. George_Randle

Thanks for posting Liam Clancy, I hadn't heard his version.

The other Eric Bogle song to have the same effect on me is this one. It's the right time of year for it:

coffeekid likes this.
  20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

This beautiful version of Leonard Cohen's "So Long Marianne". The sound quality's not amazing, but that last singer in the red skirt - ooft. Lovely voice.
    You'd sing too
    if you found yourself
    in a place like this
    You wouldn't worry about
    whether you were as good
    as Ray Charles or Edith Piaf
    You'd sing
    You'd sing
    not for yourself
    but to make a self
    out of the old food
    rotting in the astral bowel