1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music that gives you goosebumps.........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Oct 16, 2019.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I love Judith Durham's voice. It's so pure and clear.

The song that gets me misty-eyed these days is Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners. It used to conjure up liveliness but we had a stillborn daughter in 1980 and called her Eileen as we both had beloved aunties with that name. The first time that I heard the song, a few years after she died, I was alone and couldn't stop crying. My reaction is less severe these days but it still affects me.

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Bless you Jubilee. (((( ))))

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Agree with many on this thread, especially 'In the living years'. Then there's 'The first time ever I saw your face' (my dad's choice at mum's funeral, the Johnny Cash version). I love Elgar's Cello Concerto. Strangely, a song that always makes tears prickle is Bruce Springsteen's 'This land is your land'.

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

And then there's 'I dreamed a dream' - or almost any song from the wonderful Les Mis!

lardylady likes this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

7. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

When I want to retreat into solace this does it for me. Those final guitar notes......

artboyusa likes this.
  8. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Established commenter

Sibelius 5th... that key change though!

artboyusa and nomad like this.
  9. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I usually start crying when the Bishop pardons Valjean and pretty much carry on sobbing til the end.

coffeekid and sunshineneeded like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Like it?

If you like some unusual and nerve tingling key modulations try this track from Tony Banks (the master of key modulation) bank Nik Kershaw. Mostly from 2:25 onwards.

alex_teccy likes this.
  11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' Hurt is a true nerve tingler. One of his final recordings - you just know he's lived the lyrics.

12. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Incredible.

His cover of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face does similarly for me. It was played at a family funeral a few years ago, which has changed the meaning a little for me now, but it always had the power to send shivers down my spine.

I have too many to mention. As mentioned above, it very much depends on the time and place and how receptive I'm feeling. One piece of music might do nothing to me one day, yet make me nearly cry in wonder at its beauty the next. All highly dependable on many things.

Vaughan William's Lark Ascending got me today though. Just in the car on the way to Lidl this morning. The light was perfect, and the colour of the trees and play of sunlight on the sea, together with the pirouetting violin of the opening made me feel like the top of my head was coming off. A perfect moment. To have one of those in a battered old Astra Estate is probably quite rare!

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

14. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

Most of my knowledge of classical music comes from films but a few have got to me over the years:
    Clair de lune
    O mio babbio caro (especially poignant as we had it at my Dad’s funeral)
    The other one from A Room with a View (no idea what it’s called)
    The duet from The Pearl Fishers

No idea how to post YouTube clips - sorry

I’m sure there are many others that will occur

15. Lazycat

Thought of another: Mama Cass’ voice has the ability to send shivers up and down my spine

smoothnewt and artboyusa like this.
  16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Dvorak Symphony from the New World
    Beethoven 9th
    Robbie Williams Angels.

nomad, BelleDuJour and Lazycat like this.
  17. Lazycat

Gorecki’s Symphony of Sorrowful Songs. Dawn Upshaw’s voice is incredible.

The other one that gets to me is Chet Baker’s trumpet solo in Shipbuilding. I can live without him singing it though :rolleyes:

18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

For a classical piece it has to be this:

smoothnewt and LondonCanary like this.
  19. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

This one enables me to slip away, any time I want my own space just for a blissful while; and the abrupt-ish end drops me back where I was. Thanks guys, all 4 of you.

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Just had a thought, @BelleDuJour ,

Have you ever heard the Tolga Kashif version from his "Genesis Suite"?

BelleDuJour likes this.