1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music that gives you goosebumps.........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Oct 16, 2019.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Was chatting a a friend on FB yesterday and somehow the topic of an album by Genesis came up. We then both mention the track 'Ripples' from 'Trick of the Tail' and that was it...........had to listen to the track on the sound system here at Belle Towers, really loud and for the full 8 minutes. Gave me goosebumps.
    So, what tracks give you goosebumps?
    Post them on here so we can all enjoy a music fest that we can get lost in..................might even be nice for GDW to listen to as she recovers. Songs from Tessers!
    Here's 'Ripples'..............enjoy.

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Love old Genesis!

Classical does it for me more these days. Love it when the brass comes in in this Brahms movement. This piece evokes damp Autumn walks in the countryside for me.

(Hate Amazon on principle for their business practices but love their use of Ave Maria in their current ad.)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    BelleDuJour likes this.
  3. BelleDuJour

That's a lovely piece of Brahms @smoothnewt.
    Thank you.

smoothnewt likes this.
  4. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

We had all three of these songs at our wedding.

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Actually Brahms always makes me think of Cosmos, as I know she was a fan of his.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I was living in Lyon with three friends and we had a cassette recorder !! and a couple of tapes . TOTT was one of them .Gladys Knight was another. Good times. We were heavily into disco too then and used to frequent a place called Goldshaft ... Sylverster’s ‘You Make Me Feel ‘ and K C and the Sunshine Band make me smile . Happy happy days !

BertieBassett2 and smoothnewt like this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Don't know about goosebumps, but it's difficult not to feel upbeat when Isao Tomita's rendition of Debussy's Arabesque Number 1 is playing:

nomad likes this.
  8. BelleDuJour

My daughter walked down the aisle to this...............

Real, live goosebump moment as her Dad and I walked with her.

9. BelleDuJour

Sylvester's 'You Make me Feel' reminds me of early days at University..........all sequin boob tubes and stretch satin spray on jeans!

caress, BertieBassett2 and minnie me like this.
  10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

J S Bach - St Mathew Passion

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

In terms of Genesis, I find both "Ripples" and "Cul de Sac" both equally inspiring.

Otherwise, the Finale of Sibelius' 5th Symphony,

Or the Manhattan Transfer version of 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square',

And almost any part of Faure's Requiem.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  12. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I always liked Genesis whilst at college and thought Phil Collins did a great job taking over from Peter Gabriel. Trick of the Tail was a great album, but so was Wind and Wuthering.
    As for goosebumps- anything by Steely Dan really, especially Don’t Take Me Alive.

Jesmond12, nomad and minnie me like this.
  13. BelleDuJour

Some fab music coming on here! Love it.

nomad, BertieBassett2 and sbkrobson like this.
  14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Meatloaf, especially 'Two out of Three ain't Bad':

Leo Sayer: 'When I need you':

Slade: 'Merry Xmas, Everybody' (sorry - but it does give me goosebumps at Christmas!!)

maggie m and BelleDuJour like this.
  15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I can get goosebumps from any music.It's situational.It's mood based. The goosebumps come from no one song, but from the right song for that moment.
    My last goosebumps which transported me were at the weekend when a friend came. I was in the kitchen doing us food, and I said "put some music on if you like" so she put this on (RIP NFAK) in the next room, and there it goes at the end of the third minute the vocal which makes you stop in your tracks and burn your cheese toastie and not care because you're distracted trying to work out if you could ever have the right biology to produce something a tenth as powerful and who on earth had the genius idea of allowing Peter Gabriel to gild it with almost esoteric guitar and non obvious multi layered production? Sure, you can try to sing along, but you will be nothing. Nothing. Crank it up.

Then again, you might hate it.

nick909 likes this.
  16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Oh yes ! A fantastic ‘ good to be alive ‘ driving track ... so many sublime SD tunes ...

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  17. BertieBassett2

Forgot to post the song!

Jesmond12, sodalime and minnie me like this.
  18. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Just out of interest is the tribute band ‘ Nearly Dan ‘ worth checking out ?

19. BertieBassett2

Apparently, they are very good - for a tribute band! There are a lot of SD tribute bands - Brooklyn Charmers are meant to be spot on and my brother has seen the band Steamy Dan. I heard one of their covers and found the music acceptable but the lead singer a whiny parody of Donald Fagen!

minnie me likes this.
  20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

(1 hr 45 mins on here)
    The Ruht Wohl from Bach's St John's Passion is marvellous and very touching but in fact the whole thing is so special. The Evangelists part, telling the Easter story is heart rendingly sad. I love it.

nomad and minnie me like this.