1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music Technology at A2 - questions

Discussion in 'Music' started by catrinhaf, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I have two questions I hope you can help me with, I've had a look on Edexcel's FAQ's but can't find the answers. I currently have 8 boys doing Music Technology at A level. Of the eight, six are doing coursework brief 2, a song based on Tupac Shakur's Poem. They are all using the stimulus material in different ways; some are literally writing a song in strophic form where the lyrics are sung over a rock band setup, one has written a futuristic electronic soundscape and is reciting segments of it at preselected intervals. Two others are chopping and splicing segments of lyrics and writing their own based on the poem. My question is this; is this allowed? Clearly they will be asked to justify what they have done in the log book later, but are they allowed to use the stimulus and bend it beyond all recognition? I know this is a creative composition task but I don't want the pupils to be penalised for being 'too' creative if ever there were such a thing to be penalised for!

The second question... Two of the eight are re-sitting Unit 1 from last year (1A, 1B and 1C) Are they allowed to resubmit their 1B coursework or does the whole lot need to be recorded again from scratch? If so, can they submit the same piece of work for 1B and 3B? I know this isn't generally considered to be a wise idea; why resubmit something they didn't do well on the first time around? Both of the pupils in question did quite well on 1B but struggled on 1C and 1A, and so want to resubmit 1B and redo 1A and 1C from scratch.

Thank you in advance for your time!

2. Hi All,

I have two questions I hope you can help me with, I've had a look on Edexcel's FAQ's but can't find the answers. I currently have 8 boys doing Music Technology at A level. Of the eight, six are doing coursework brief 2, a song based on Tupac Shakur's Poem. They are all using the stimulus material in different ways; some are literally writing a song in strophic form where the lyrics are sung over a rock band setup, one has written a futuristic electronic soundscape and is reciting segments of it at preselected intervals. Two others are chopping and splicing segments of lyrics and writing their own based on the poem. My question is this; is this allowed? Clearly they will be asked to justify what they have done in the log book later, but are they allowed to use the stimulus and bend it beyond all recognition? I know this is a creative composition task but I don't want the pupils to be penalised for being 'too' creative if ever there were such a thing to be penalised for!

The second question... Two of the eight are re-sitting Unit 1 from last year (1A, 1B and 1C) Are they allowed to resubmit their 1B coursework or does the whole lot need to be recorded again from scratch? If so, can they submit the same piece of work for 1B and 3B? I know this isn't generally considered to be a wise idea; why resubmit something they didn't do well on the first time around? Both of the pupils in question did quite well on 1B but struggled on 1C and 1A, and so want to resubmit 1B and redo 1A and 1C from scratch.

Thank you in advance for your time!

3. MusicTeacherReading

MusicTeacherReading New commenter

I would say that they should be sticking to the stimulus so that it is recognisable but bending it 'slightly' - they are marked on their response to the set brief, so if it is way out then they may not get the recognition they deserve. The A2 logbook is not as detailed as the AS logbook and will not give them to flexibility to give a detailed account of how they have used it. It will need to be 'obvious' to the examiner.
    As for your second question, I would get advice from Edexcel pronto - from my reading of the examiner's report last year, it should be a complete re-record. Plus, if you look at it from this way, one year on they should have progressed and do an even better 1B recording this year because they will have learned from the mistakes they made. 3b has to include a certain amount of acoustic/orchestral or percussion instruments, so I would be careful in trying to submit the same time twice for the same candidate.