1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music Tech - free or very cheap software suggestions?

Discussion in 'Music' started by starfluf, May 18, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I'm keen to get ICT in music on the curriculum next year for KS3. I'm in the process of connecting our midi keyboards to our laptops and am looking at options to engage KS3 with a nice user friendly interface. I'm loathed to use Dance Ejay (which is currently installed thanks to a previous HoD who spec'ed up laptops instead of desktops) and Cubase looks quite expensive when we'd have to outlay for 17 machines. I'm looking at mu.lab - has anyone any experience of this or suggestions of alternatives?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Hi all
    I'm keen to get ICT in music on the curriculum next year for KS3. I'm in the process of connecting our midi keyboards to our laptops and am looking at options to engage KS3 with a nice user friendly interface. I'm loathed to use Dance Ejay (which is currently installed thanks to a previous HoD who spec'ed up laptops instead of desktops) and Cubase looks quite expensive when we'd have to outlay for 17 machines. I'm looking at mu.lab - has anyone any experience of this or suggestions of alternatives?
    Thanks in advance!

3. HebdenH

HebdenH New commenter

Hi starfluf

Why don't you apply to be a Roland Champion School? Jonathan Savage has been publicising it on this forum. Applications need to be in by 10th June. You would get 1 year's site licence for Cakewalk and Notation 3 for your school. Unfortunately, I've never used either of these pieces of software so can't say how good they are. Also, you would have to ffulfil certain obligations to Roland, but these obligations could be really good for your CPD. Here is a link to Jon's website http://jsavage.org.uk/ He last blogged about this on 6th May so scroll down and there's lots of info there.

It's worth a look :)

H

PS Jon/Roland, I'll collect my fiver for this plug at the end of the month thank you hahahahahahahaha

4. Yeah heard a little about mixcraft, but again it's cost... $74 x 20 = :0(
    Have you some resources / SoW on this please?

5. I've only got a basic assigment as I am still finding out how the programme works. -you can have a copy of the worksheet if you want. I have been told about looplab.com - its free but I have never used it!!
    Hope it helps