1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music targets for HI ( totally deaf) ASD student

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by tod sal, May 7, 2012.

1. I teach Music on a 9 unit programme. One student is ( as far as we know) totally deaf although there is some discussion as to whether this could possible be through choice/ filtering.) He does not respond to loud sounds at all. He is non verbal and considered to have PMLD. I have thought so hard about how to involve him and I am struggling to set targets- there's only so much exploring instruments/ vibration stuff you can do! Where I can I have taken a multi sensory approach. There are a few topics that have left me stumped-Harmonizing Sounds- we experiement with what sounds go together- play various tuned instruments, vocalize, sing/ play rounds, listen to tracks such as Mamas and Papas etc. But I just cannot think of a Music target that fits in with this topic for this student. I've managed to fit in targets with many of the topics but not this one. Maybe it's going to have to be a non-music target ( whereas everone else's is a music one!)Any suggestions please? Thanks

2. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

Have you thought about asking the NDCS for some advice? They provide a free helpline and lots of resources for professionals.If they cannot help they may well be able to put you in tocuh with someone who can. I agree - it would be such a shame if this YP had to have a non music target just because of their deafness...
    [​IMG]

3. Thank you- looked up their website.