1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

music subject leader folders

Discussion in 'Music' started by sparklepig2002, Apr 10, 2012.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

was wondering what all you music subject leaders have in your portfolios?
    Do you just have examples of children's written work-eg graphic scores or do you have levelled recordings of their work-or both? how do you store their recordings?

2. Portfolios? Are we supposed to have these??
    I keep copies of all recordings I make of student work and store them on our system. Since a post about this a few months ago I store them on the teacher's area rather than my own area as this enables me to reference them using my Excell spread sheet on which I store my marks. I also back up these recordings onto a personal disk drive as I do not believe they constitue "personal information" about students. You've got to watch what you back up nowadays.
    Students written work is kept in their own folders, stored in individual class boxes.
    I'm a little worried about your word "portfolio" however. I've got enought to do without pointlessly making neat folders of information about my teaching.

3. I haven't got one either. I haven't got time either to make a folder about my teaching when everything is available to hand anyway. My previous school told each department to keep one and we started it and promptly ignored it, it had lesson observations, nice letters from parents etc, in. No one ever asked to see it, Ofsted aren't interested in it, even if you get a subject inspection they'll want to see work but as long as it's all to hand there isn't any point in duplicating information. I've got my personal file with lesson observations,letters from parents etc. and performance management in it.

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

sorry-forgot to say I am primary.