1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music/Songs for Business Studies

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by megerton, Jan 27, 2010.

1. What songs have any of you come across that would be useful for Business Studies? At the moment I have 'Money, Money, Money' (ABBA), 'Money's too tight to mention' (Prince), 'Money Makes the workd go around' (Cabaret). 'Working 9 to 5' Any other suggestions?
    Looking at ways to differentiate learning generally but also for less able learners ending up doing business. There are loads of films and cartoons but I'm not that aware of relevant songs.
    Otherwise any good sites for music so I can search by category?
    Many thanks

2. lord sutch

lord sutch New commenter

3. ki_holland

ki_holland New commenter

This ones doing the rounds at the minute - makes a great start to macroeconomics
    http://www.econstories.tv/home.html

Also,
    Madonna - Material Girl
    Donna Summers - She works hard for the money
    Money - Pink Floyd
    Taxman - The Beatles
    Takin care of business - Bachman Turner Overdrive
    Simply Red - Moneys too tight to mention
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - Proud Mary
    Dire Straits - Money for nothing
    Bruce Springsteen - The Factory
    Bon Jovi - Livin on a prayer
    I've recently been using more music into lessons a lot more (until IT decided that Spotify was casuing too much traffic on our network!). Last week used Blur (Country House) vs. Tracy Chapman (Fast Car) when teaching wealth distribution with my econ class and they loved it.
    If you Google search songs about business/working/poverty etc. you will find lot's of different lists from which you can create your own youtube or spotify playlists.

4. love the video link to rap - had heard Absolute radio talking about it today.....! great coincidence - has saved me searching for it!

5. Ghost town by the specials - written about the 80s recession and impact on Coventry. Says 'government leaving the youth on the shelf' good for getting discussion going about how far the government has responsibility for getting involved in the economy.

A good friday afternoon one, is a quiz to guess the song and artist then place them on the business cycle graph - they have to explain why. e.g. 'things can only get better' for recovery, 'boom shake the room' for boom, '1 in 10' for recession, 'relight my fire' a downturn. Easy to slip a bit of economics in without them thinking about it.

6. If you want to put a little soul into the subject try the O'Jays - For the Love of Money - also the theme to the American version of the Apprentice. Hits a few social issues in there as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCkLEo-DT1Q

7. Mo Money Mo Problems - Notorious B.I.B.
    Gold Digger - Kanye West
    Independant Women - Destiny's Child
    Dirty Cask - Stevie V (recently covered by Dizzee Rascal)
    Cash Car Star - Smashing Pumpkins
    Shake your money maker - Ludacris & Pharell
    If I was a rich girl - Gwen Steffani

8. The first one should of course say Notorious B.I.G - sorry about the typo there!

9. kenickie

kenickie New commenter

i LOVE this thread! I am due to do a lecture on keynes and austrian economics so i will def use the rap lol

I think i will use the gaga video when introducing the consequences of economic growth... i wonder if there is one about pollution anywhere.... big yellow taxi?

10. Earth Song...Michael Jackson!

11. You shouldn't call the doctor if you can't afford the bills

Possible Topics: market failure; a society where health is not a merit good; private health care
    The Byrds: I Wasn't Born to Follow [Topic: Leadership]
    Dire Straits: Money for Nothing [Topic: consumer goods/ needs and wants]
    Tom T Hall: Back When Gas was 30c a Gallon [Topic:Inflation]
    Bobby Bare: Detroit City [Topic: Geographical Mobility of Labour]
    Simon & Garfunkel: Richard Cory [Topic: 1929 Wall Street Crash]
    Woody Guthrie: This Land is Your Land [Topic: public goods?]
    Apologies if a little dated compared to the other replies but enjoyed thinking about it!
    Colin Leith

12. Strawbs - Part of the Union

13. Try Weird Al Yancovich 'I'll Sue Ya'......always gets students amused!

14. there's always 'supply & demand' by the hives.

Brio.

15. 'Country life' by 'Show of Hands'. A folk tune so not cool but all about destruction of rural economies by second homw owners, big business and consumer demand for cheap tat and low quality food.