1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music schemes - suggestions most welcome!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Bx44, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Throughout our primary school we use the Music Express scheme of work for teaching Music. Does anyone have any opinions on this scheme? Does anybody know of any better schemes which are more exciting but still suitable for teachers who are not particularly musical?
    Thank you

2. I'd recommend 'Jolly Music'.Easy to use, especially for non-musicians. Lots of good resources. Much cheaper than other resources I've seen. The children absolutely love it and it builds year on year.
    http://jollylearning.co.uk/overview-about-jolly-music/
    Hope that helps!

3. May I just ask a question or two about Jolly Music?
    If i were to start using it with my KS1 would I start all on beginners level or do the plder ones start with level 1 (I have FS2 in one class and Y1/2 in another) and do you need the big books?
    Thanks

4. Hi Lizzy

You would need to start the children with Beginner's Level, whether they're Reception or Y1, unless they've already had some Kodály-based training. You would probably find that the Y1 children will move through the material more quickly, though, so they might be ready for Level 1 in less than a year. (Depends on the size of the class, how quick on the uptake they are, how much music time they get, etc, etc.)

You don't need the Big Books (though they are nice to have) - everything you need is in the Handbooks.

Hope this helps.

5. musiclover

musiclover New commenter

6. Hi

Take a look at interactuk.net primary music scheme - good comments

Jeana

7. notable

notable New commenter

I'd recommend joining Sing Up, too.