1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

music practise rooms

Discussion in 'Music' started by sloggek, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Hi everyone
    I really hope someone can offer me some advice. I am currently in conflict with my SMT about use of music practise rooms in music lessons (not peri lessons but class lessons). Up til now I have often had groups of students working in practise rooms, and particularly when teaching using the musical futures model. I would supervise by moving around between the rooms (all on one corridor, next to each other). I don't have year seven working like this.
    I have now been told this is not acceptable and I have to have a meeting next week to discuss it.
    What does everyone else do? Am I right in my assumption that the majority of music teachers work in the way I've just described? Where do teachers stand with regards to being 'in loco parentis' and the immediate supervision of students? I have been trawling the net tonight but haven't come up with much other than 'reasonable' supervision- I am worried that my definition of 'reasonable' and my SMT's definition is going to differ somewhat! Please help...
    Thanks

2. Hi everyone
    I really hope someone can offer me some advice. I am currently in conflict with my SMT about use of music practise rooms in music lessons (not peri lessons but class lessons). Up til now I have often had groups of students working in practise rooms, and particularly when teaching using the musical futures model. I would supervise by moving around between the rooms (all on one corridor, next to each other). I don't have year seven working like this.
    I have now been told this is not acceptable and I have to have a meeting next week to discuss it.
    What does everyone else do? Am I right in my assumption that the majority of music teachers work in the way I've just described? Where do teachers stand with regards to being 'in loco parentis' and the immediate supervision of students? I have been trawling the net tonight but haven't come up with much other than 'reasonable' supervision- I am worried that my definition of 'reasonable' and my SMT's definition is going to differ somewhat! Please help...
    Thanks

3. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

Both times I've been observed by OFSTED inspectors they were more than happy for me to be using practise rooms and having children work in this way. Ask if they can suggest how else you might go about such group work.

4. casper

casper New commenter

Oh if only I had this opportunity. I do not have rooms I can use in this way. Everything has to be done in one room. However, where I have taught before this is the way I worked using rooms for pupils to do group work. How can you do group work without doing this. It is understood that as long as you are keeping an eye on what is going on and checking on the students that this is fine. Has someting happened for SLT to query this?

5. pianomania

pianomania New commenter

We have a number of rooms that we use for group work. Yes we have been told that all students should be supervised at all times although no-one has yet said we cannot use practice rooms. This reminds me that i need to write a policy explaining why we use them and how as a dept we monitor students in rooms.
    The agreement is that all staff are around and supporting each other in the dept. when students are in practice rooms. I usually only do it for 20 mins to maintain focus and of course follow it up with the ubiquitous 'show us all what you have been working on '. We only let students go out who are trustworthy and in groups we agree to. Again we have also had OFTSED witness this practice and never been a problem,
    To defend the issue I would cite:
    Extension and differentiation for both more able and less able students
    Independent learning-problem solving - thinking skills!
    Any students with hearing impairments can concentrate better.
    Fulfillment of NC requirement for group work perf.
    Ability to concentrate more without other inst./students disturbing!

6. thanks for the replies so far- keep them coming!
    Yes an incident has happened of quite serious damage which has led to a high profile exclusion in our school hence why SMT are suddenly very interested in what goes on in music. I maintain this is because of the students concerned - not because of lack of supervision. I can't really go into details here!
    I am working on a 'policy' as we speak...

7. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

This is a tricky one, and something I've asked my SMT about in the past. Their response was that it's OK to have kids dotted around practice rooms (and in my case of only 1 practice room, corridors and the main hall too) as long as I'm rotating between them to check on pupil progress (and behaviour). Part of music practical work is students learning responsibility for their own learning, without us nagging over their shoulder the whole time.
    When you chose to do Musical Futures, did SMT approve it? If so, then they should have been aware that break-away rooms were required to be used by students. Could you use this in your argument?
    Perhaps say that you understand their concerns and ask them what they expect from music lessons. If they say anything about practical music-making, ask them how they would like that to happen. There are limits to what students can achieve with keyboards and headphones all in the same room. And the decibel rating of whole-class music-making is surely a Health and Safety hazard? Small-group practical is an excellent way of differentiating and exposing students to real music-making. I don't imagine a symphony orchestra all rehearse their individual parts in the same room, or five rock bands practice in the same space!
    Good luck. Interested to hear the outcome of this.

8. I have several small practice rooms on my corridor. I am very careful about which pupils use them for group work. I always leave the classroom door wedged open (there are usually 2 groups working in there) and constantly rotate between groups. When seeing a group in a practice room I will often stand in the doorway so I have half an eye/ear on the rest of the area. The rule is that everyone stays in their work area and does not come to look for me except in a medical emergency - careful reinforcement of this if someone does wander with detention seems to do the trick. No-one has ever questioned our use of practice rooms.

9. When I had practice (not practise) rooms I used them as you describe. I am about to get some more in my new school (brand new) and having read your post I will do the following:
    Post a laminated notice in the rooms outlining expected behaviour (that students will work while unsupervised and not damage or use equipment innapropriately etc), that the use of the rooms is a priviledge that will only be accorded to students whose behaviour AROUND THE SCHOOL is deemed appropriate and that damamge will be be paid for etc etc.
    I will also do a rist assessment which I will add to my departmental policy.
    Students should be be expected to behave like reasonable human beings and treat school property with respect. If there is so little trust of pupils, or if damage is routine then I suggest there is something wrong in the school.
    Good Luck

10. Re practice not practise I thought it *was* practise, as practice means as in GP practice or 'the practice of medicine' for example.... But maybe I'm wrong!

There isn't a culture of vandalism or poor behaviour in the school- overall behaviour is good and this is why I feel it's a knee jerk reaction on behalf of our smt

11. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Practice = noun, the thing that you do

Practise = verb, the act of doing that

I always remember with advice [which you give] and advise [ which is what you do]

Mind you, rockamadeus doesn't have a proverbial leg to stand on when saying about doing a "rist assessment"!

12. v12

v12

And as for sticking a privy on a ledge! Wow - that's some practice room - new school or not, it must be a privilege to work there!

[​IMG]

13. flyingcircusfreak

flyingcircusfreak New commenter

It all depends on how you define 'supervision'. Is it always necessary to be in the same room as someone to 'supervise' them? This is really up to your SLT to decide!

14. Hi everyone. I just wanted to let you know it all got sorted- a good and thorough department policy and a risk assessment seems to have sorted the problem and the meeting was much better than I thought. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

15. Hi, I don't know if you will get this as your post was from a while ago. I've just been told I could be marked down to a 4 because I used practice rooms for a lesson - with regard to the safeguarding issues that you mentioned. I basically have said if the school can't support the practice room use I can't work there. The 4 was not for behaviour or work/attitude as the kids did me proud for the obs but just because I used the rooms. It was a stomp performance lesson so you can imagine what 6 groups of stomp sound like in one room! Not to mention all the hearing, distractions and not being able to hear what the heck you are doing!!!!!
    I'm just about the go on a fact finding mission to back myself up but would be grateful for any comments you have about anything that has been said or done since you first had the issue.
    Thanks