1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music Peripatetic Teachers - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by BoldAsBrass, Aug 10, 2017.

1. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass New commenter

Hi everyone,

Having left mainstream teaching, I have decided to make use of my musical training / background and enter into the realms of private peripatetic music tuition (brass) and visit students in their home settings.

I wondered if anyone has any useful tips for generating interest from students? I have already set up a FaceBook page, joined a music tutoring web site (for free) and am also using my brass banding background to spread the word. Have I missed anything obvious?

Also, once September comes around, my aim is to also approach schools directly and offer small group tuition. I'm hoping schools will be able to facilitate allowing me a space to teach my groups. I will deal directly with parents for payments, after initially leading a whole school assembly to gather initial interest. I've already written a newsletter and completed a booking/terms of contract document and checked the Musicians Union advice. If anyone has any advice for getting a foot through the door of new schools, I'd appreciate it!

Do you already run a successful peripatetic business? What made it successful? I'd really appreciate any tips or advice so that I can really make a go of my new venture. I'm so looking forward to doing the thing I love, performing :)

2. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Hi @BoldAsBrass , welcome to the forum.
    Sorry, I can't help you here, but I believe that @florian gassmann is a musician and may be able to help.

3. BoldAsBrass

Many thanks Mathematics, I will message them. Cheers

mathsmutt likes this.
  4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Hello @BoldAsBrass

It might be worth reposting this on the Music forum. It would be good, for example, to discuss the likelihood of schools allowing you to undertake private tuition on their premises. In my own experience, schools tend to source their peripatetic teachers from the County Music Service - but it is not unheard of to do what you suggest.

mathsmutt likes this.
  5. BoldAsBrass

Thanks @marlin, I've done that now. ☺

mathsmutt and marlin like this.