1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music N5 descriptors

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by RoseRodent, Oct 14, 2012.

1. I'm an instrumental teacher just now so I'm not allowed on all the courses about the introduction of the new qualifications (never mind that we are asked to prepare students for them, but that's another gripe for another day!)
    Did anyone manage to make sense of the balance of the qualification for N5 Music? The course specification says that the assessment comprises 60 marks for performance and 40 for the written paper which seems to be based entirely on the "Understanding Music" unit. I assume this refers to a summative assessment only, no coursework. But composition is a compulsory unit for the N5 music course overall. What proportion of the overall assessment - in total - is each element? Thanks.

2. I'm an instrumental teacher just now so I'm not allowed on all the courses about the introduction of the new qualifications (never mind that we are asked to prepare students for them, but that's another gripe for another day!)
    Did anyone manage to make sense of the balance of the qualification for N5 Music? The course specification says that the assessment comprises 60 marks for performance and 40 for the written paper which seems to be based entirely on the "Understanding Music" unit. I assume this refers to a summative assessment only, no coursework. But composition is a compulsory unit for the N5 music course overall. What proportion of the overall assessment - in total - is each element? Thanks.

3. The National 5 Music course requires a pass in the following units:
    Performing Skills
    Composing Skills
    Understanding Music

All are assessed internally.

The National 5 course externally examined grade is made up from the following:

Added Value Unit, which comprises:
    Performance (externally assessed) on 2 instruments or 1 instrument and voice.
    =60 marks (30 per instrument/voice)
    Question Paper (externally assessed) on the "Understanding Music" content (i.e. listening and theory).
    =40 marks
    =100 marks in total.

Hope this helps!

A