1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music, movement, sound etc topic

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by helen_earlyyears, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am doing music, movement and sound in nursery. I have covered musical instruments for 1 week- lots of identifying & matching sounds.

This week I was going to focus on lots of listening to sounds. Was wondering if anyone would be able to just have a look at some brief ideas I have.

Day 1: listening to sounds being made & identify - instrumental & a few environmental. Also play sound lotto where children listen & match to sounds.

Day 2: Play sound stories from Letters and Sounds. Play some sounds in a sequence and the children have to select picture cards & put in correct order they heard the sound. Listening to body percussion sounds. Pass a sound around a circle. Add sounds (i.e. clap. then clap, clap).

Day 3- listen to different sounds. Loud/quiet sounds, fast/slow sounds. Can the children identify loud & quiet sounds? Can they make those sounds?

Day 4- listen to the percussion part of an orchestra. what instruments can they hear? Tell them a little about an orchestra. I pretend to be the 'conductor' and children play instrument when I say.

Day 5- listen to clips of musicals/films. Can they identify them.

I'm not very sure about this so was wondering if anyone has done these activities or am I way off the mark for nursery? The orchestra day would be very simple- children watch me- if I point to them they play instrument.

Many thanks everyone,
    H

2. Hi,

I am doing music, movement and sound in nursery. I have covered musical instruments for 1 week- lots of identifying & matching sounds.

This week I was going to focus on lots of listening to sounds. Was wondering if anyone would be able to just have a look at some brief ideas I have.

Day 1: listening to sounds being made & identify - instrumental & a few environmental. Also play sound lotto where children listen & match to sounds.

Day 2: Play sound stories from Letters and Sounds. Play some sounds in a sequence and the children have to select picture cards & put in correct order they heard the sound. Listening to body percussion sounds. Pass a sound around a circle. Add sounds (i.e. clap. then clap, clap).

Day 3- listen to different sounds. Loud/quiet sounds, fast/slow sounds. Can the children identify loud & quiet sounds? Can they make those sounds?

Day 4- listen to the percussion part of an orchestra. what instruments can they hear? Tell them a little about an orchestra. I pretend to be the 'conductor' and children play instrument when I say.

Day 5- listen to clips of musicals/films. Can they identify them.

I'm not very sure about this so was wondering if anyone has done these activities or am I way off the mark for nursery? The orchestra day would be very simple- children watch me- if I point to them they play instrument.

Many thanks everyone,
    H