1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music level descriptors

Discussion in 'Music' started by Willowmaze, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Willowmaze

Willowmaze New commenter

Thank you so much.
    My email is mstagg@westberks.org.
    Secretly I'm thrilled with your response - I'm a forum virgin!

2. bod99

bod99 New commenter

sent to both of you. Hope it's useful - please DO post any comments you have about it.
    Welcome to the forum Willow!

3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

thnak you so much - this is a wonderful resource.
    [​IMG]

4. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Bod99 - just wondering if you'd uploaded your level descriptors to the Resources page? It'd be great if you could. Thanks!

5. bod99

bod99 New commenter

have tried - not convinced it has worked. Try looking tomorrow!

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

thank you for the cards - again, an excellent resource.

7. bod99

bod99 New commenter

have uploaded sheet AND resources cards to resource bank - hurray!

8. Hello Willow
    The thing is, the levels really don't adress skills as much as music understanding. Like many musiicians I too am tempted to say that playing a simple piece with one hand on the keyboard in time and accurately is approximately a level 4? 3? 5? whatever. I've had this beaten out of me by several music advisors who tell me it is all about musical understanding, NOT skills. Secretly I hanker after simple tests of students musical skill . . .
    Go even further down this reflective rout and you start to see that the levels follow that triangle of orders of thining thingy, er Blooms taxonomy.
    Who cares, the levels a pretty rubbish anyhow. I basically ignor them and then make them up when it comes to donig assessment. The assessment I use for learning is more to do with "Nwo Johnny, try to play with more than one finger . . . add the chords . . . can you make your piece longer by adding a different ending . . . does that note go with that chord and why not?
    I need to get this off my chest.

9. bod99

bod99 New commenter

The sheet isn't supposed to be the definitive assessment guide - just a way of tracking a child through primary school. I couldn't possibly fit everything on there, skills wise. Of course good teachers use their own knowledge to inform their assessment. You could also say that the levels are more about opportunity than skills.

10. So how do you use a list lke that to estimate a child's level - should you be able to tick everything, or is it a questin of which level gets the most ticks? Quite a lot of difference there, particularly in a school like ours where using ICT for music is next to impossible

11. bod99

bod99 New commenter

I can only tick everything if I've given them the chance to do everything. It acts as a rough guide to a level- I would expect them to have most things ticked to be working confidently at that level. It also helps me to ensure they get the opportunity to do all the things on the sheet! It is designed for our school so you're bound to find that some things aren't so relevant for you. I also have skills progression sheets for all our wider opps which helps inform my assessments. Do you think it is any use, Gizzy? Always interested in your opinion.

12. The skills progressions? I should say so. Every school would need to make their own, of course, or adapt yours.
    We were told we were allocated about £700 (I think) for Wider Opps devlopment for this year, and as we've not been hai=ving the Cambridgeshire Music in anyway, we decided to invest in instruments and bought 36 ukuleles which I am teaching myself. Heven't heard anything else about that money, and at the moment my budget has a deficit of $600+. I'm beginning to wonder whether I'd dreamed the figure.
    So far they can all hold it correctly (many often don't but they can if I growl at them) name the strings, say what are the main factors affecting the pitch of a string, pluck the four strings, strum an open-string chord, play and sing the song "My Dog has Fleas", put a finger in the 3rd fret (not necessarily the best finger yet), identify a C chord, and play two songs using just the C chord with half the class strumming crotchets and half strumming minims, and sing at the same time, and quite a few feel confident to tune the instrument. I don't suppose you have anything appropriate for the uke, do you?
    I think the sheep will be separated from the goats when they have to learn a second chord. But I've been ever so surprised how well even the SEN kids have got on with it. And even - this is the best bit - even the TAs!
    Today we also learnt to sing Mama don't 'low no geetar playin' round here.

13. bod99

bod99 New commenter

ukes sound great. I have a purple one, but am yet to attempt any teaching. I don't think there's any room for any more instruments at school! Perhaps another after school club to start?! My nephew is 3 and loves his "leyli" which my sister had to buy to stop him strumming the old family tiny violin.
    I hope the wider opps money turns up - I'll ask our esteemed music advisor if he knows anything. I'm coming over to a network meeting at Mayfield next week - will you be there?

14. Thank you very much.

kp294@hotmail.co.uk

15. bod99

bod99 New commenter

Does the thankyou mean you have downloaded the resources Kperrin?

16. Willowmaze

Willowmaze New commenter

Hi
    I can see where you're coming from but what I like about the assessment levels I've been sent is that I can track the skills across. As I've basically been teaching Infants for the last 8 years I'm not sure what the 'average' y6 should be able to do and this helps.
    I agree that the levels are pretty rubbish and lets face it, you can become a grade 8 violinist without having any music understanding or feel for it.
    Skills must be important, must they?

17. bod99

bod99 New commenter

it's on the resource bank - help yourself!

18. bod99

bod99 New commenter

They're labelled
    "child friendly assessment sheets"

19. I stumbled across this email posted a couple years ago. Is there any chance you could email the skills sheet to me? My email is: dianedacosta@hotmail.com I teach PPA classroom music in 2 schools and it's a nightmare trying to remember all the different children much less to level them. Thanks in advance!