1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music lessons lack music.

Discussion in 'Music' started by casper, Mar 3, 2012.

1. casper

casper New commenter

Not my quote, have you seen this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17226187

2. bod99

bod99 New commenter

Ahhh, but some have too much music. (same article).

3. casper

casper New commenter

I know, hilarious.

4. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

Given that we are required to cover Listening and Appraisal, as well as Composition, it can't always be playing....

5. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Quote: "Most pupils appeared to enjoy the activity, but the sound was dreadful."
    The article states that the students were beginning violin and 'cello players. I wonder what kind of sound the inspector was expecting?

6. I've been sent the report from our county inspector and have skim read it. I intend to show the relevant parts to my line manager about SLT, but I got very depressed as I'm a one person department and there are only so many hours in a day and if I kept of trying to do everything they expect from an outstanding department I'd collapse from nervous exhaustion. I'm pretty certain that if Ofsted showed up to do a department inspection I would be inadequate, yet there's a limit to what I can do especially with a lack of support from SLT and I do my best with with the limited resources and time I have.

7. Annie, i'm sure there is plenty of music in your music lessons. We should laugh these things off and get on with the job as we see it.

My lessons are completely silent as we are doing a special project on John Cage - we are listening to 4'33" over and over again and then playing on pianos which I have prepared. . . . . By locking them.

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

[​IMG]
    I'm glad to see that Ofsted are keeping up their reputation for nonsensical reports. Perhaps they have in mind the sort of thing I see in some secondary music classrooms when examining for the AB - colouring-in of outlines of instruments, and neatly copying printed materials, but I'd like to think that sort of thing is fairly rare these days.
    But I do regard the ultimate goal of class music lessons is to teach pupils how to listen musically (and for more than just 3 minutes at a time). Almost none are going to be composers, and very few are going to be (even amateur) performers, but they are all going to be listeners.
    I was hoping to like Ofsted's little videos, presumably made pour encourager les autres. However, when faced with the poorly-supported tone of the London Oratory School, chuntering their way through one of those dreary 1970s "pop" cantatas that I thought had died years ago, I really began to wonder what message Ofsted is trying to convey.
    Of course, the London Oratory was favoured by the Blessed Anthony Blair, and is a just like a public school without the fees (according to one parent I met years ago) so I'd better shut up.
    Shame that Ofsted don't rate listening more highly, though - and their own videos are full of the nattering, with little music-making, that they condemn in others.

9. [​IMG]
    There is plenty of music in my lessons - I just get depressed when I read about what I should be doing all of the time. The only thing I liked about the report was the criticism of SLT and their support of music and lack of understanding of how music should be taught. I went on a course where Mark Philips HMI was discussing this report and he did comment that there was too many fill in the blank type worksheets in the name of literacy/numeracy going on so I guess there are too many departments doing that sort of thing and the colouring in of instruments - so guess it's not completely extinct Florian!

10. casper

casper New commenter

Annie, I am a one person department in a part of the school no one can see. I do not see a soul from school over in my area apart from the lovely peri staff. No SLT, I do not have money spent in my department, I have rotting windows and new windows have now been put in the majority of other departments. When i was off last summer having an operation there were 4 supply teachers in 6 weeks came and went. Lots of music taking place in my department, I have not read the whole report yet, but it will probably make me cross.