1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music lesson with maths link year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by suzcunny, Oct 10, 2019.

1. suzcunny

suzcunny New commenter

Hi all

I have a lesson obs next week last session of the day where I teach music to a year 1 class to cover PPA. I do not teach them for anything else. Our school focus is maths so I need to get some kind of maths link in there. I follow the Charanga scheme and there are lots of clapping and nodding to the beat and counting in beats of 2, 4, 8,16 and 32 with the children following the actions of funny characters.

I tried to get the instruments out today to practice maybe playing numberbonds to 10 me play 3 they play 7 but they are only up to numberbonds to 4,5 and 6. It was chaos and I don't think they are ready for the instruments just yet.

Will it be enough to just follow the scheme counting in the beats as above or do I need more maths?
    Thank you inadvance

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

How about some counting songs? Something like 10 Green Bottles-you could change the words to 10 spikey conkers to fit in with Autumn, You could sing the song, get the children to play 10, then 9, then 8 spikey sounds etc after each verse. (drums, wooden blocks etc).
    Or......10 floating leaves-and use the long sounding instruments (chime bars, mini cymbals, triangles, glocks) to make a piece of floating music.
    If you look on You Tube, I expect there will be plenty of number songs to choose from.
    Or -the topic of shape is a good one. Find a song about different shapes, then sort out the instruments according to shape. Hold up a picture of a shape and the children with that shaped instrument play along. I've used this one

Good luck.

ViolaClef likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

10 fat sausages - counting back in 2s, to move on from all the other counting songs.

When the whole school focus is music, will the other teachers have to make sure they include music in every other lesson that day? Sometimes these tickboxes just get ridiculous.

sparklepig2002 and ViolaClef like this.
  4. suzcunny

suzcunny New commenter

Thank you so much this is very useful

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  5. suzcunny

suzcunny New commenter

Exactly !! Thank you though

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter