1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music lesson idea for world cup

Discussion in 'Music' started by alexine, May 20, 2010.

1. Hi everyone
    We are having an Arts week based on the world cup. Does anyone have any ideas for a music lesson? One that doesn't involve football chants/songs?
    Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. You could do the football clap in a round. I use it to teach rhythm and ostinato, and a round obviously haha. And I don't always clap it, I put pupils in groups to develop it and get them to do some body percussion and change the rhythm to their own ostinato round, adding layers and textures as they go.

3. bod99

bod99 New commenter

fanfares

4. Use of a football to create sounds (other than kicking it to hit things!). For example, using it as a hand percussion instrument. Attaching a contact microphone. Using drumsticks on it.
    Drawing a football pattern (hexagon surrounded by pentagons) on a board or piece of paper and allocating notes or note values to different patches. See whether they can create a good tune by traversing it, a bit like a steel pan.
    Random, I know... just thinking off the top of my head.

5. Singing Matters has Three Lions On A Shirt - my classes LOVE doing this as part of special occasions Unit (in year 8)- watch the vid and then they do their own arrangements - just an idea![​IMG]

6. Whoops sorry just saw that you don't want songs...sorry [​IMG]

7. You could check out my African drumming workshops - which include South African material tailored for the World Cup event. Info on the Marketplace forum.
    b.ayengio@yahoo.co.uk

8. some fantastic ideas. Thanks folks [​IMG]

9. South African part songs - the kids love them! 'Shosholoza' is a well-known one - can get it on YouTube and I'm sure you could find the words / music if you google it.

10. We're doing Amadinda and african songs as part of a thematic fortnight in the school - using Africa as the stimulus.
    I am also doing a school community choir performing the piece "Adiemus" by Karl Jenkins.

L

11. A great opportunity to do SAMBA using classroom percussion.. works a treat

12. We have been studying samba music and african drumming...there are world cup songs past an the present that fit with many world styles. We have looked at these styles and performed in them. Also, we drew out graphic scores based on different aspects of play, like scoring a goal or getting injured and performed them. It's also quite good fun to listen to the national anthems of all the teams...appraise how boring they are and maybe try and write a new national anthem for England???

Hope this helps,
    Jude

13. erp77

erp77 New commenter

14. WOW I can't believe how many ideas you all have, Thank you very very much [​IMG]

15. Yeah, totally. All of those ideas are creative for a music lesson plan.Never thought some of those things could work as a lesson plan. As I am as well thinking of some fresh ideas for our music school.