1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

music instrumental lessons

Discussion in 'Music' started by Doitforfree, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

That's much cheaper than round here. School lessons are provided by the County Music Service and the cost is roughly the same as private lessons. GCSE music students get a free shared lesson only mine didn't because the teacher couldn't fit them in! The peri teaching was never very satisfactory, both because some of the teachers were terrible and also because the lessons were too short and disrupted thier normal lessons, which some teachers didn't like. Communication between teachers and home was difficult. So we gace up on school lessons as we could do much better privately for the same money. I don't really see why the school should subsidise lessons unless they also subsidise dancing lessons, martial arts and so on and so on, though I am a passionate advocate of learning to play an instrument.

2. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

£70 divided by 12 = £5.83 per (30 minute?) lesson. That's less than a Starbuck's coffee. Or Big Mac combo. I understand that some families don't have much cash in the current climate, but it's such a pity that music lessons are given such a low priority by some. Perhaps you could cheekily advertise along these lines: 'Want your child to be the next X Factor winner...' 'For less than the price of a Starbuck's coffee, you could enrich your child's life with an amazing life and creative skill'.
    In one school I taught in, we charged £30 for a 30 minute lesson, ie. 5 times how much you're charging. Some of this money did go towards the administration of the programme, but still...!!!
    GCSE students paid the same. I also ran a free lunchtime 'keyboard/guitar club' to cater for those who couldn't pay for lessons.
    You say that the business manager is on your back because of the latest invoice. Is this cost not passed onto parents who have already signed up for the music lessons? Or is it charged to the school even if you don't have the number of students to fill music-service hours you signed up for?

3. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Apples and oranges.
    People don't normally have one-to-one dancing lessons. The dancing is taught to larger groups in the timetabled dance lessons because it works best this way.
    There is no GCSE in martial arts.

4. Our private peris are around £130-£150 for 10 lessons (half hour)

County are around £220 for 10 lessons (half hour.....and obviously v expensive admin costs!)

We subsidise some pupils who are g and t or who actively participate in extra curricular activities to the tune of about 30 quid a term.

5. netmum

netmum New commenter

Apparently though according my son's Taekwondo teacher it can be used as part of the PE GCSE but again it is the same as dance, best taught in groups in class same way as any other sport.
    I do think it is a shame that children don't get the kind of provision that I used to when at school (free lessons for nominal annual fee of £1. However in the current climate what the OP's school is offering is very good.
    My husband worked both for the music service and as a private peri. It is swings and raoundabpouts. A good LA music service will provide lots of extras (workshops, county groups etc) wheras a good peri can be cheaper privately and sometimes not always of a higher standard.
    I pay £13 for half an hour at my daughter's school for lessons.

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

All the best dancers at my son's dancing school have individual lessons...
    We go to music centre in the next county as provision where we live is a bit rubbish. They were thrilled to get our first son to go and the rest have naturally followed him there so our local county have lost out on three lots of payments and three good musicians. They have a terrible reputation! One of our private teachers used to work for them and she hated it so much she took a different job in an authority miles away just because they were much better organised.
    My biggest problem with peri teaching was the lack of contact. I think the teacher concerned was particulalrly bad but there was no system in place for parents to be able to contact the teacher, which could be frustrating. I think it's given me a bit of a jaundiced biew and i know peri provision is excellent in some places.
    I too remember the days of free lessons when our (fairly poor) county had a fantastic music service and produced a lot of professional musicians.