1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music Inspection advice wanted please!

Discussion in 'Music' started by rachyben, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Hello,
    We've got an Inspection coming up after Easter and planning my music lessons. My topic is 'Water' and I thought of doing a 'sea shanties' topic, but just don't seem to have much inspiration at all (after spending all week planning my other lessons!). I teach a mixed Year 4, 5 and 6 class for Music (in a very small school). My original thought had been to teach them a sea shanty and then to split off into groups to add sea sound effects using percussion instruments, but am worried it's not 'exciting' enough or will stretch them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    :)

2. Hello,
    We've got an Inspection coming up after Easter and planning my music lessons. My topic is 'Water' and I thought of doing a 'sea shanties' topic, but just don't seem to have much inspiration at all (after spending all week planning my other lessons!). I teach a mixed Year 4, 5 and 6 class for Music (in a very small school). My original thought had been to teach them a sea shanty and then to split off into groups to add sea sound effects using percussion instruments, but am worried it's not 'exciting' enough or will stretch them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    :)

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

"What shall we do with the drunken sailor?" is always a good standby - the harmony is extremely simple (Dm - C - Dm - C throughout) making it ideal for the kids to accompany on tuned percussion. The idea of alternating parallel chords (e.g. F - G - F - G) can then form the basis for them to compose their own water music.

4. midnightoil

midnightoil New commenter

Or, Whip Jamboree if you want to avoid the too well-known Drunken sailor. I have an arrangement I could send you or add to TES resources.
    Another good one is 'Fire in the Galley'.

5. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

I think your idea is a good one - I would also get them started by doing some physical movement along to a recording, if you have the space eg scrubbing the decks, turning the capstan, hawling the anchor.

6. My criticism of primary music and primary schools in general (bitter experience with my daughter's primary) is the one size fits all. You should have details of any students with instrumental experience or even grades. I teachnpiano in a very small primary school and there are students there with grade 2 on various instruments including piano and guitar, violin and voice. An ofsted inspector would be delighted to see these students developing their talents. The would also like to see evidence of self and peer review, and could your instrumentalist be sharing their skills with others? Im assuming the singing will have some moments of part singing. If you don't know which students play or sing at a graded level you should do!

Above all, everyone should be enjoying themselves.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Good point Rockmeamadues. Under the old Ofsted I got an 'outstanding' for my lesson doing just this. I was doing group composistion activities and all of those that played instruments were using them in the lesson - something that regularly happened by the way - not just for the inspection lesson. Groups performed their pieces to the class and the class reviewed their performances - highlighting what went well and giving constructive criticism - again normal practice in the lesson.
    I took all classes in the school for music and my first task when meeting a group for the first time was to take a register and record those that had lessons in or out of school and any grades achieved. I updated this at the start of each new term.

8. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

what about using Vltava by Smetna?
    Give them a bit of background information about the music describing the journey of a river from source to mouth.
    play the music and ask them to guess what is happening at each stage when the music changes.
    split into groups-one group can make up "river flowing music" to act as linking music.
    the other groups think of something that is happening on the bank of the river and make up music to describe it.
    Have a grand performance with the river flowing music being played between each of the other groups.
    The children can make up narration if they wish.
    They can also use their instrumetnts-I had a violinist and flautist doing rippling patterns for the river source-it was very effective.
    I have done this with year 4 children with great success.
    good luck

9. sparklepig2002

I would be interested to hear what you end up doing and how it went!

10. cmf

cmf

Your lesson sounds really good, would love to see it. You have got all the criteia as far as I can see.
    I am unsure about KS2 but at KS3 you:
    HAVE to show progress after 15-20mins with a mini plenary, plus every 15-20 after that.
    Make sure you have ALL SOME and MOST always on the board as well as lesson objectives.
    Students MUST know their current level and how to move on.
    A lesson SHOULD show singing, instrumental work, composition, students being self enquirers and the teacher NOT leading the lesson!
    Oh, and I know you do not have to provide a lesson plan but its always a good idea
    Dont ask how we are to get all this in a 15-20 min session, but if you dont you CANNOT move above satisfactory.

Like I said, I do not know if this covers KS2.

11. Thank you so much for your help, that sounds a fantastic idea. How did you get them to record their musical ideas down? Also did they just use un-tuned instruments or tuned instruments too? Was it a one off lesson or did you do several lessons linked to this? Sorry for all the questions, thanks again for your help :)

12. sparklepig2002

I did this over a half term but you could condense it. If you give me your email I can send you some lesson plans and recording sheets the children used.

13. That would be brilliant if you wouldn't mind. My email address is Rach_1008@hotmail.com. Thank you!

14. Midnightoil - That would be great if you wouldn't mind emailing it to me? My email address is Rach_1008@hotmail.com. Thank you :)