1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music in MFL.... what music you use in your MFL lessons? How...?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Nusch, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Interested in integrating more music in my lessons....classical and other. If you are using music in your lessons in a successful way, can you please let me know what music (please give examples of pieces) you use and how you are using it (please give examples of activities). Huge thank you in advance....!

2. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I have a few pieces of music which last for varying lengths. These can be played to encourage pupils to finish a task before the music stops playing. I find this reduces off task talking if the music is fairly loud.
    You can set almost any activity to music. For example, Y7 pupils always seem to enjoy a reading treasure hunt set to music about opinions of teachers and school subjects. Before the lesson I place 5 texts (designed as treasure islands on the wall around the room). Pupils are given 5 questions (one based on each island). They walk from island to island looking for the 'buried treasure' - i.e the answers hidden in the 5 paragraphs. While they do this, I play pirate music and occasionally threaten the pupils with keel hauling or with my parrot if it looks like they are finding my treasure. First to get all 5 answers right gets the prize (treasure).

3. Thank you for your idea....what do you call "Pirate Music", can you define or give me the name of the piece you're talking about?

4. BrightonEarly

I use a track from Pirates of the Caribbean, The Curse of the Black Pearl, called 'Barbossa is Hungry'.

5. BrightonEarly

One year I even wore a patch and pirate hat!
    Of course, the idea can be adapted to any level and any topic area. Just change the treasure island texts. The idea also works well as a Mission Impossible with the title music from the film. I've done that with GCSE and A Level classes before now. They get really competitive!

6. Thank you again for your ideas....they are great and very inspiring. If you think of anymore, please let me know. I will certainly try the reading treasure hunt with my Yr 7 before the end of this term.

7. Really like the idea of using the "Mission Impossible" tune...

8. jekkers

jekkers New commenter

Just a simple idea: go to www.classtools.net , click on Countdown Timer, and you can select a track of any length, so you can choose the track to suit your task. The tracks are fun, eg, The Apprentice, Hawaii 5-0. I like the Debussy Clair de Lune track which is just over 5 minutes long and instantly calms them down, so nice when completing a quick writing task,
    Another thing I do a lot is to download a free rap beat (www.20dollarbeats.com) and do drills in time to the rap. I've done it with the verb conjugations (aller/avoir), with numbers, days of the week, anything! Kids seem to love it.
    I also play a lot of French music videos, just for fun at the end of a lesson, while they're putting their folders away. They love Je m'appelle Funny Bear, the Pigloo series and René la Taupe (all on youtube).

9. mpc

mpc

Have you tried the fantastic Russell Tarr's www.classtools.net ?
    It has countdowns with several pieces of music (plus much more)!

10. Countdown is good. So is the Benny Hill then tune and Scott Joplins Entertainer for speeding pupils up. I also use midi tracks as background tracks to class songs or raps.

11. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

12. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Etre in present tense to the tune of the Marseilleise (include "on")
    Various present verbs to Mission Impossible.

A,B, C... (American marching tune)
    lundi, mardi, mercredi (to the tune Camp Town races..)
    Quelle est la date de ton anniverasire (from Un kilo de chansons)
    Plenty of songs at A-level and sometimes GCSE. My favourite is Francis Cabrel - very clear and good lyrics.
    Nice "J'ai mal..." song from languagesresources.co.uk to the tune of "The animals went in two by two... "

All tried and tested.

Check out the souffler.co.uk site for music in lessons.

13. Thank you Jekkers...again fantastic suggestions! I also like the rap idea with verbs conjugations, will definitely have a go! :)

14. Hi MPC, thank you for replying...yes, I have heard about it from Jekkers...will give it a go, any more ideas, please let me know. :)

15. Good idea, actually....thanks Geekie [​IMG]

16. Merci, merci, merci! Je suis super contente de toutes vos suggestions...hate de commencer a utiliser toutes vos idees!

17. Thank you Sduckworth!

18. In Youtube, do a search for Clipsenfle.
    An amazing selection of French songs, with and without subtitles. Excellent resource.

19. I will, PetiteJoueuse. I have spent a couple of hours on YouTube and checked almost everything that has been suggested....I am overwhelmed and so excited! My classes are going to have lots of fun...
    One video I really had fun with....Le ragga des Pingouins!
    http://youtu.be/IP-6E8MbDs
    and also a remix of Plastic Bertrand's Ca plane pour moi (but the end is cut short, pity)
    http://youtu.be/nsbzR_04t6Y
    [​IMG]

20. You can also get hold of karaoke tracks for well-known pop songs and then write your own lyrics.
    Current favourites for my pupils are my Coldplay song about regular French verbs in the present tense, and my Black-Eyed Peas song about German sports and hobbies. You can also ask your pupils to write lyrics based on the language you are teaching them.
    Have fun!
    PJ