1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music in EYFS

Discussion in 'Music' started by princesslemons, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm a full time music teacher in a primary school, covering PPA for other teachers. I have an hour lesson all classes in years 1-6, and 45 minutes with Nursery and Reception. I've been doing it for almost two years, and I'm still finding it really tough to come up with ideas for EYFS that will last a full 45 minutes! Once they are a little bit more capable, it is very easy for me to plan, but when they are really little it's difficult to even hole their attention for that time! Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of things they have done?
    Thanks in advance!

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

lots of short activities! I do an opening welcome song, then some sort of action warm up, I then do a birthday song for any birthday children. Then we talk about the main theme of the lesson, learn a song, add insturments and also try and include listening/moving to some music. 45 mins is a long time - 30mins is better - can you reduce the teaching time and spend the last part doing a story?

3. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

I agree with what sparklepig suggests. I had to do 50 min lessons which was really too long fro the little ones. I too used to read a story at the end of the lesson - seems the teachers getting their 50 minute slot was more important than how they received their music education.... I did lots of movement/dance type activitie. Maybe you already know of these resources but I liked Lets go Zudio (AC Black), the NYCOS singing games for early years are brilliant for this stage, also 3 Tapping Teddies for story based music activities.

4. I agree with everything said so far - in fact, 1hr is a long time for Y1 and some Y2, depending on maturity, as well.
    For Reception, I add in traditional and more modern singing games that they can play in the playground too. Circle games, choosing games, line games, clapping games towards the end of the year when their coordination is better - sometimes I slot one of these in the middle of the session to break it up and get them on their feet - for any kids, sitting cross-legged in a circle without a break is a bit much even for 30 mins so it's nice to get up and stretch and then re-focus.Even better if you have a TA with you who can help to marshall little random motion machines .....
    Sue Nichols has a fair few songs which may fit the bill - also Sing Up.
    I also raid the music cupboard for unusual instruments every so often eg boomwhackers, hand-bells ( the kind you can play on the ground as well as in the hand), djembes, ocean drums and huge rainsticks, bass bars, gathering drum - and rotate the kids so they all get a chance to play the good stuff that week.
    Hope this helps and good luck!

5. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference New commenter