1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music ideas for THE CIRCUS KS1

Discussion in 'Music' started by donut gal, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Just wondering if anyone has done a music topic based around the circus. The children are only 5. I'd like to base it around either a story or songs with added percussion and maybe add some composition in aswell!!! thank you in advance.

2. Just wondering if anyone has done a music topic based around the circus. The children are only 5. I'd like to base it around either a story or songs with added percussion and maybe add some composition in aswell!!! thank you in advance.

3. Maybe you could start to explore vocal and instrumental sounds the children could make while you find a suitable story?
    The composition would depend on the story, but at it's simplest level, the children could tell a 'story' with their instrument by playing it in two different ways. For example, shaking a tambourine to make it sound like a trapeze artist is swinging, then tapping it when they let go or land.
    I would build it up little by little, depending on your children's music experience.

4. v12

v12

Don't forget to start each lesson with a blast from 'Entry of the Gladiators' by the amazingly named Julius Fucik.
    Incidentally, I've always found that senior school children love finding composers with names such as Fucik, Fux, Suk, Blow and, of course, Oliphant Chuckerbutty - that well known English organist.

5. Thank you for your ideas... certainly got my creative ideas going..... it's so hard to come up with ideas at the beginning of the term! I have also found a great song about being a clown and building a circus........ so I can also get some acting in too!!