1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music for assembly - anyone know where to get a plan ?

Discussion in 'Music' started by cole1969, Jul 25, 2010.

1. We listen to music as the children come into assembly, but the choice is always quite random - what is in the CD box or whatever the Year 6 children in charge of the player lay their hands on. We often seem to miss opportunities with this approach. Our children's music knowledge could do with broadening
    I'd like to ensure a decent coverage of styles, periods and cultures across the year.

Does anyone know where I can find a plan that might provide me with somewhere to start that would help with this ?
    Thanks for any useful links ect.

2. bod99

bod99 New commenter

I decide on a different theme each half term and make a CD of appropriate music, or more recently a smartboard file which has info and sound files so they can read about the music.
    Recent ideas: sections of the orchestra, sports themes, opera, beatles, africa, musical eras.

3. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference New commenter

I hate the random use of music as children walk in and out of assembly.It's like saying "Here are the first 30 seconds of a Bach Cantata, you don't need to listen to it though, it's just to give you some background music as you walk in, like at Asda."

Much better to use music designed to stimulate reflective worship, such as http://www.onemoretime.biz/hearwanderweg.php

4. cmf

cmf

http://www.chalkface.com/search/almb/s/0/?layout=r2%20rank/relevancy%20calibration%20%28with%20RR%29

5. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

6. What's wrong with worship.
    However, I am with other commentators - why do you need music for students to walk in and out to? My questions would be . . .
    When you play your random extracts, does anyone give any information about the music?
    Does the music relate to the theme of the assembly?
    Do they sing in assembly - because they should.
    Do they ahve assemblies about music where they have to sit and listen to at least a decent proportion of a piece and have some explanation about it.
    If have a lott of difficulties with the playing music as they walk in approach altogether.
    Soz.

7. bod99

bod99 New commenter

We have a weekly music assembly where we learn new songs for other assemblies.
    On the way in there is info on the huge screen about what they're listening to which I then follow up with discussion and comments from the children. We follow a half-termly theme (recent hit was opera including visit from an opera singer). It's invaluable for encouraging active listening and musical vocabulary. We also have children playing their own instruments as part of the assembly. We aim to sing every assembly.
    If the children talk over the music it is switched off and we wait for quiet before continuing. It certainly means they get a wide variety of musical listening over a year, and that we encourage ALL ages to answer questions and give their opinion.

8. We did something similar on a shorter scale. We had assembly on four days a week, not usually a worship event, sometimes mostly for giving out merit awards, but often for a particular class to do a presentation.
    My Head's bright idea was to take a theme, choose just three contrasting pieces to fit, and have one or other of those played on the way in and another on the way out. This set of pieces lasted for two weeks. By the end of that period the children felt very familiar with those pieces and could sometimes be heard humming them around the school.
    We kept a brief notice announcing and describing the three pieces on all the hall doors, and the head, deputies and class teachers were also informed. Sometimes they were briefly explained in the assembly.
    I can remember doing birds, eastern Europe, woodwind instruments, moods, Tudor times and weather.

9. I do the following:
    Each Friday we have a celebration assembly for the whole school. As the children come in there is music playing accompanied by a powerpoint explaining about the music. This can be related to instruments, the composer, performers or source of the material. Whole school assemblies in the following week have music related to that heard on the Friday with a single slide introducing the music. The whole process starts the next Friday.
    Themes
    Usually I try and relate the music to theme being done at the time by different year groups - history, geography, English and even Maths! Obviously some weeks have a special event - Rememberance Day, St Davids Day etc and the music matches them. Some are requested by staff who are presenting an assembly, which is fun!
    Resources
    Have a look in the Resources section for 'Music of the Week' this should set you off on the right track.
    Tip: If you can embed the music track into the powerpoint it makes life easier and if you can use video even better as the children can see and hear the music modelled. (There is loads on You Tube and there is free software available to download it and convert it to WMV files which can easily be used in powerpoint)

10. Thank you all for your comments and advice. I really appreciate your practical ideas for where to start on this idea. These are very useful and will help me a great deal with my original request.
    I can see from some of the posts that there are people who have thoughts on the motivation/aims of playing music in assembly. Thank you, I did not intend to initiate discussion on this but appreciate there are professionals with more insight than me who have thoughts on this. Perhaps it would make a suitable discussion for another thread ? Please accept my thanks for your time

11. Hi there
    Did you ever manage to produce your list for the year.
    I am just about to try and do one and like you are wondering where to start!
    I would be very grateful if i could see yours