1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music Edexcel GCSE how to

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by stevemusic, Nov 13, 2017.

1. stevemusic

stevemusic New commenter

Hi
    I'm an NQT currently teaching the GCSE 9-1 Edexcell GCSE music. I have a HOD who is helping me to plan ect but I find her style of teaching the set works very, discusive, as in she works though a powerpoint and tells them the main points, works really well for her, but not really my style . I personaly like to be much more practical about as much as possible of the learning and was wondering if anyone who is currecntly teaching the Set works ( currently Killer Queen) has any ideas on how to get pupils to really understand the music but be as pratical as posible at the same time. The books from Edexcell is also very detailed in its anylisis I was wondering also especially for those who are lesser in ability in the class how other teachers ar presenting this info so both lower learners and higher learners can take on board the key info.

any extra advice would be much apreciated

2. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Hi stevemusic,
    I'm not currently teaching GCSE, so can't help with the specific set work.
    I would usually introduce a set work by playing a recording of it, discussing or getting them to research individually or in pairs or groups the key features of the piece/genre, or getting students to perform or compose using ideas from the piece/genre. I would do much more detailed work with them on a piece/style which I thought would suit them well for a composition.
    You should get more response if you post this on the music subject forum.