1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music Coordinators Quick question??

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jacster22, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Just wondered if there were any music coords out there who do not play an instrument?
    I am considering a post but wondered if it was worth applying if they would specifically need musical training?
    I have a keen interest in music in other ways and have experience of singing and musical theatre but do not play an instrument (with the exception of recorder from my own school days many moons ago) and wondered if this was such as disadvantage with the IT technology available to assist the subject these days??
    Thanks in advance
    J

2. Just wondered if there were any music coords out there who do not play an instrument?
    I am considering a post but wondered if it was worth applying if they would specifically need musical training?
    I have a keen interest in music in other ways and have experience of singing and musical theatre but do not play an instrument (with the exception of recorder from my own school days many moons ago) and wondered if this was such as disadvantage with the IT technology available to assist the subject these days??
    Thanks in advance
    J

3. v12

v12

Disappointing though my answer might be, I think that apart from a good degree in music, there is almost a prerequisite that you should play at least one musical instrument to a competent standard - by which I mean to at least Grade VIII.
    I'm sure there will be those that have known of Directors/Heads of Music who, like you, have had only a passing interest in the subject, and I know two other-subject teachers who have taken over the reins of music departments when their schools were desperately short of a Head of Department for a term or two - butotherwise no, especially in these days where employers have so much choice of candidate.
    Are you a teacher in another subject, or do you have relevant degrees/PGCE that might allow you to take a postin another subject, but offer music as an attractive add-on? Sadly (regulars to this forum will understand that choice of word), Primary schools are often looking for suitable <strike>victims</strike> candidates for Music Co-ordinator.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Are you thinking of primary when you ask about co-ordinator, rather than HOD in secondary? Have you seen a job advertised that you are thinking of?
    I would agree with v12. You might stand a chance in primary, but even they may be asking for 'an ability to play the piano would be an advantage' or at least looking for that if they haven't explicitly said so.
    In middle or secondary you would need more than you seem to have. A good knowledge of the theory of music that goes with learning to play an instrument and in further studies would be needed from y7 onwards.
    I would try to find out more about what the school want - some primaries have someone who is attached to the school that can play the piano for example in assemblies and concerts and are just looking for somebody enthusiastic to lead other teachers in their class music.

5. I think you probably could do it, with an enjoyment of singing. Would rather see someone giving it all and enjoying singing with children accompanied by CD than playing piano and not so enthusiastic. Swings and roundabouts. Perhaps you could learn a few chords on the guitar, or take up piano? You don't need to be John Williams or Mrs Mills!

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

If you think you can do it, why not give it a try? What do you have to lose by applying? Sorry if we all dispirited you. We weren't quite sure what the post was. I know really good co-ordinators in primary who don't play piano, but have a love of the subject.
    You are obviously enthusiastic and lack of piano could be overcome if there is another willing adult for concerts etc.
    Go on ....
    Good luck. [​IMG]

7. brookey1970

brookey1970 New commenter

I would go for it. The actual agenda could well be: someone to organise concerts, take singing/hymn practice etc. You could certainly do that.

8. I'm with v12 and marlin here. Primary level could open a door of opportunity for you. If you would desire to go beyond primary then I guess you would need to learn how to play at least one instrument like piano or guitar.