1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

music area in continous provision

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kaz_allan, Oct 19, 2011.

1. has anyohne got any ideas how to keep children focused in this area - our children just bash and bang in any fashion, which is fine but not all the time. we have modelled playing a tune and a pattern but they have not taken this on. How can we move this on to a more constructive level that they learn from? any ideas welcome.

2. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

To be honest I'm not sure I'd expect them to independently sit and make a tune. We've had the instruments out on various occasions and the children are only interested in banging them but why shouldn't they just explore.
    Maybe you could have group times where children pass on a tune, and have to copy the teacher. During registration I have a drum in the middle of the circle and when I say goodbye they come and hit the drum in anyway they want and mine (3 year olds) will make up various tunes.
    Maybe you could listen to various instrumental pieces and allow them to hear other tunes to give them further ideas. I think listening skills are vital here!

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I'm not really happy with children using instruments without adult supervision, unless you just have toy instruments. Good quality instruments are expensive and often delicate. We've had a lot of ruined instruments at school, and I'm pretty sure it's when some of the after-school club children have been allowed unsupervised access to the music room.
    When I'm using instruments with my Reception class I often have to remind them how to play an instrument, and how to pick them up and put them back down carefully. I know that a lot of the children would forget to be gentle with instruments if they had them as part of the continuous provision.

4. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We have a selection of untuned percussion in CP that we have out this time of year. Towards the summer, we have some tuned percussion with colour-coded simple tunes. We introduce it as a response to particular children and how they are using the music area. I had a girl a couple of years ago (who has turned out to be quite musical) who used to sit for ages playing tunes on chime bars. We also have "recycled" instruments outside (pans, old metal bins etc).

5. Could include laminated cards with symbols on, such as getting quieter/louder, stop, play fast/slow. Model the use of these with a conductor showing the cards in turn and children following the symbol, then allow children to access these independently. I have done similar before and the children were really good at taking turns at being the conductor and performers with no adult input. [​IMG]

6. Our music area is fun with lots of plastic musical instruments , toy microphones and we introduce real instruments very slowly over the year, its still very noisy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

7. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Often I try to groups instruments that are in the same family, so that it's not just a huge choice all the time. Also it allows me to rotate, so if interest wanes I can change it easily. Sometimes I record the children playing during more focussed sessions and put the recording in the music area for them to listen to.

8. garlictractor

garlictractor New commenter

we put out simple instruments triangles and there sticks that cant be moved hung permantley on elastic and bells these being metal they keep well .
    instruments are really good at autumn time in music groups representing leaves falling, fast ,slow the wind blowing the feet crunching in the leaves etc..

9. perhaps limit the range of instrument, provide picture cards for the children to arrange and then 'follow' like a tune,

we have the same problem with out outdoor music area, the children turn the xylaphone into a cooker!!