1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music and movement in SLD/PMLD school

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by jack00, Jan 15, 2008.

1. We have a session time tabled music and movement, the CD is soooooo old and staff are not motivated to use it. I am trying to revamp the session, does anybody use a good scheme? It needs to be more than nursery ryhmes/action songs, looking at ways we move bodies etc...??????

2. We have a session time tabled music and movement, the CD is soooooo old and staff are not motivated to use it. I am trying to revamp the session, does anybody use a good scheme? It needs to be more than nursery ryhmes/action songs, looking at ways we move bodies etc...??????

3. What age are the children you are working with?

4. Its a real shame your staff are not motivated! I'm a TA in a special needs school, but also a dancer, thus having a lot of experience of teaching dance with various groups of children. In my experience you don't need expensive or exciting CD's/players, i prefer to use relaxation/non-lyrical music when working with special needs children, as this seems to help them reach a more relaxed and calm state, and helps move away from the over-used nursery ryhme style movement routines.
    Encouraging the children to move around the room focusing on different body parts is always a nice starting point (depending on severity of needs) you might ask them to use their knees, arms, hips, elbows, etc, this also helps the children to learn about their body parts, and stretches essential muscles. With PMLD children, staff can help to isolate body parts and move resourcefully with the music.
    Another idea is to set a theme, this could be a word, a colour, a season, or an animal, the children being encouraged to move in a way that reflects the qualities surrounding that topic (again dependant on your children's needs) Bringing in various props, scarfs, cloth, etc is effective when working with PMLD children and it encourages them to reach out and move independantly.
    I hope that offers some help, don't hesitate to contact for more tried and tested ideas??!

5. Thank you, I am working in early years aged 3-5yrs.

6. DJL

DJL

When I had that age group we also used a really old tape - it was a body awareness tape that had different pieces of music and different instructions for each piece (eg 'Wiggle your fingers' or 'rub your tummy'. It sounds really, really dull but the children benefited so much from doing the same tape over and over again. We used it for a whole year and by the end the children with PMLD were able to respond independently to some of the instructions as they were associated with music. It really improved physical and attention skills.
    So maybe it's a case of helping your staff to understand the benefits of what you're doing with your old CD for the children. The children need repetition and familiarity, even if the staff think it's dull.
    Try googling 'TacPac' for similar. Can't remember what mine was called. Probably just 'Body awareness'.

7. If you are after action songs then take a look on Youtube, there are loads of videos of young children doing action rhymes that you can download and convert to play on your PC/whiteboard. My Early Years class love 'wake up shake up' and 'boogie beebies' - I bought boogie beebies DVDs from Amazon for under £3 each.