1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Music and drama could become ‘preserve of the elite’ if Ebac proposals go ahead, union warns

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 1, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

They have already been squeezed out of the curriculum in some schools. I've certainly witnessed a decrease in the uptake of GCSE and A level in the schools in the town where I live. In fact, students wishing to take A level music now have to travel to colleges or schools in towns 18+ miles away as there is no longer any provision locally. An additional effect of this is that local peri music teachers have seen a huge decrease in the amount of work they've got and the local Music Service has laid off staff.

George_Randle likes this.
  3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

So clear that these will be the preserve of private schools so fuelling middle class flight from the state sector.

RedQuilt likes this.
  4. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

What a shame.

Why is it that schools don't seem capable of finding a balance? A few years ago, pupils were pushed into all sorts of vocational qualifications like BTEC performing arts (supposedly worth 4 GCSEs, according to my cousin who did this) at the expense of academic subjects like MFL and History which became optional. Now its going the opposite way...

The school I work in makes all pupils do 8 subject areas - English, Maths, Science, MFL, Humanities, Creative (arts or technology), RE/PSHE and PE. It's not perfect (some pupils would probably benefit from doing more than one creatve option and others would like to do 2 languages or both History and Geography, but aren't able to do so) but at least no subject is squeezed out or seen as unimportant. It really shocks me that this isn't the norm.

5. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Some schools are already looking at pushing drama and music out. Most performing arts teachers I know are fighting a daily battle for the survival of their subjects.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The Department for Education spokesperson claimed that the ASCL, who raised this issue are being disingenuous, and that "Last summer’s results showed thousands more students taking GCSEs in arts or music subjects compared to the previous year."

In 2015 there were 1059 more candidates for GCSE music than in 2014, but that was only a small and unexpected reversal in the pernicious decline of recent years:

2007 61249
    2008 59824
    2009 53568
    2010 51272
    2011 48099
    2012 46368
    2013 46231
    2014 47125
    2015 48184

Whose being disingenuous now, DfE ?

7. George_Randle

George_Randle Senior commenter

The sidelining of GCSE Music in recent years is beyond scandalous.