1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Murder mystery science

Discussion in 'Science' started by BC60, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hi all
    We have been asked as a science department to participate in a whole school murder mystery event for yr 8's. Just wondering if anyone would have any ideas? Any idea would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Hi all
    We have been asked as a science department to participate in a whole school murder mystery event for yr 8's. Just wondering if anyone would have any ideas? Any idea would be much appreciated. Thanks

3. A few years ago i used to run a forensic science course with a murder mystery for Yr 7 kids to get them interested in science. I showed them some forensic medicine photos (showed differences between self inflicted injuries and injuries caused by an assailant), took them through how you measure the time of death (body temperature, rigor mortis, decay etc.), assess injuries pre and post death (eg no soot in lungs meant a fire was started after their death, even showed them the different marks that you would get if someone was strangled and then hanged to make it look like suicide (I wasn't sure about that but I was encouraged to do it by two other teachers). I also used iodine vapour to show up finger prints on pieces of paper (a receipt linked to the case) - sealed container with iodine the night before had plenty of iodine vapour on the day, fingerprints showed up quickly.
    I've still got the materials at home somewhere, I'll dig it out and see if there's anything else.
    I got the pictures from medical textbooks, you can probably get them from your local library, but I imagine you can find them on the internet too these days.