1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Murder at Skipton Aldi

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Aldi supermarket stabbing: Woman dies in Skipton store attack

[​IMG]
    BBC.co.uk, 21st December 2017.

This is a horrid story. None of us know the hour of our deaths but given unpredictable events like this I urge everyone to be aware of your surroundings at all times, wherever you are and whatever it is you are doing. We might never know who is a danger until it is too late.

May this woman rest in peace and may her family receive justice & consolation.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A horrible thing to happen anywhere.

Half the problem these days is that the person walking along the street apparently talking to themself in an agitated state may just have a Bluetooth headset and not an untreated paranoid psychosis.

However, awareness of what's going on around you is a potential life saver in this day and age. Not staring at phones helps.

coffeekid likes this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Good grief I didn't think you actually meant murder, I had hoped it was just you suffering from the usual yuletide extra long queues and trolly mad shoppers.

Awful news may she RIP.

4. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Did the poor woman linger on since before the clocks went back? I notice that the article states that she was attacked while BST was in force.

5. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Was she attacked before the clocks went back? The article refers to BST. Does that mean that the poor woman has lingered for ages?

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Oh dear, my brain read GMT... losing it for sure.

7. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I think the shock comes when you know it has happened in the next town to yours and in a place where you've always felt safe - but surely this awful thing must have been committed by someone who was either not sane or who had a terrible grudge against this lady, although they have said that they don't think it is a hate crime. Perhaps there will be more money put into mental health care now.

Ellakits and Vince_Ulam like this.
  8. Ellakits

Ellakits Established commenter

I find it shocking that someone could so casually take the life of another. One day there, the next gone.

It isn't just murder of course, sone people seem to have a casual attitude to violence in general. At the scene of the SUV attack in Melbourne a few days ago the police apparently noticed a 24 year old man filming it on his phone. They questioned him as a matter of course (in case he knew the driver, I suppose) and discovered he had three knives in his backpack! Who carries three knives around with them? Unless he's a chef I can't see why anyone would do that. The driver was a known drug user with mental health problems who'd apparently missed a medical appointment earlier, neither are terrorists according to the police.

There's also the middle-aged man being sought in connection with an attack on a bus in which someone had their ear bitten in a row over a loud mobile phone. Biting a stranger? How can that ever occur to someone?

As with the Aldi attack, we never know what thoughts or problems the person next to us has, just be glad that most people are peaceful and non-violent!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/15/mans-ear-bitten-train-row-loud-mobile-phone-conversation/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...river-arrested-car-ploughs-crowd-injuring-19/

9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Often in terrible cases like this, it turns out that the victim was known to, & perhaps stalked by, the attacker. Sometimes they were previously in a relationship, so this can be linked to an extreme form of domestic abuse. Sadly.

lanokia and calamansi like this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

Some stalkers are obsessives, mentally ill, and while I appreciate that these aren't in full control of their feelings or actions still they must be checked. Others are simply bad people who are impotent to effect positive change in their own lives and wish to prove their strength by damaging others, even strangers, even remotely, through fear and intimidation. They too must be checked. If this murderer was a stalker then we cannot afford to trivialise signs of stalking behaviour in those around us.

It has been reported that the victim was an Aldi employee.

Alice K likes this.
  11. FrankWolley

12. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I sometimes wonder if we live in a world where our minds are being flooded with violence and murder. Look at the television programmes as one example. How awful that in Melbourne someone was filming such a terrible thing. What was he intending to do? Sit at home and play it over and over again? Was that going to be his entertainment? When Ann Maguire was stabbed in her classroom, Will Cornick, the teenage killer, had asked another student to film this attack. Whatever is the answer to all of this and where does it start that the mind of one human being is so deranged that he/she can go out with a knife or a gun with them, intending to kill another person? It is a good thing that we can tell ourselves that 99% of people are good and kind and often we don't hear of THEM.

Alice K and Bedlam3 like this.
  13. Vince_Ulam

Yes, the deluge of new media allows people to believe utterly fantastic things e.g. people can change sex and demons want you to kill your classmates:

Slender Man: Girl who tried to kill her classmate to win favour with demon sentenced to 25 years in mental hospital

[​IMG]

"One of two Wisconsin girls who tried to kill a classmate to win favour with a fictional horror character named Slender Man was sentenced to 25 years in a mental hospital, the maximum punishment possible."
    Independent.co.uk, 22nd December 2017.

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I don't yet have enough information to either speculate or form an opinion on the reasons for this tragedy or what, if anything, can be done to prevent such things in future.

calamansi and zizzyballoon like this.
  15. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

If this store was anything like to Aldi and Lidl shops near us, I can understand someone going berserk, as the queues for the one open check out are interminable.

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

That comment is in very poor taste.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

While I do agree... having been in a supermarket this morning... very early and it was heaving... I would not be surprised if there was some ''rage''... a guy behind me kept banging into my legs with his trolley... part of my brain wanted to clock him. Obviously I didn't. And I'm not suggesting this incident is anything to do with that... but the glares, the looks, the nasty glances... yeah not pleasant out there.

18. FrankWolley

Just back from our local S....ys', and was surprised that: a) there was room in the car park & b) there were lots of checkouts with only one person there (having their food scanned). Busy, perhaps, not heaving.

19. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I did not mean to offend, or to be flippant. In our local Aldi and Lidl, conditions in the queues can be very reminiscent of road rage but with trolleys instead of cars. Indeed, without the isolation afforded by a car, close proximity can cause an already volatile situation to escalate rapidly. At Lidl in particular, queues often reach back down the shopping aisles, getting in the way of other shoppers trying to push trolleys along them. Tempers do fray, and just as in a motorway traffic jam, occasionally anger and frustration pushes someone over the edge. Add into the mix that some patrons of 'budget shops' might already have a a deep well of frustration and resentment caused by social and economic deprivation.

zizzyballoon likes this.
  20. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

It is very sad and just before Christmas too. The lady worked in the shop and was a mum. Just 30 years old.