1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mum's Meal Planner...

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by wormburger, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Ok, following a thread on time saving ideas some of us thought we'd start this thread to pool our ideas about main meals so we could all share ideas to help our own meal planning. I should prob say that I only have one LO who is 9 months old so she doesn't often eat with us at the moment so some of my meals may not be suitable for little people but I am trying to make things that she can eat the next day for her lunch. Here goes...
    Sunday - Roast Chicken, potatoes & veg
    Mon - Risotto with left over chicken meat & stock from carcass (plus a leek, onion, garlic, peas and whatever other veg I have)
    Tues - Spicy Sausage Pasta (Tinned toms, courgette, mushrooms, peppers & sausages) - I'll save some minus the sausage for LO the next day.
    Wed - Salade Nicoise - (Tuna, Eggs, baby new pots, olives, green beans & salad stuff) - some tuna & egg will be saved for LO's sandwiches next day plus cold pots as finger food.
    Thurs - Fahitas (as per kit but made with steak rather than chicken - prob cheating as not really home made)
    Fri - Pizza, garlic bread, wedges & salad
    Saturday - Spaghetti Bolognaise - I'll take out LO's portion before adding a stock cube or herbs.
    So there you go!

2. Ok, following a thread on time saving ideas some of us thought we'd start this thread to pool our ideas about main meals so we could all share ideas to help our own meal planning. I should prob say that I only have one LO who is 9 months old so she doesn't often eat with us at the moment so some of my meals may not be suitable for little people but I am trying to make things that she can eat the next day for her lunch. Here goes...
    Sunday - Roast Chicken, potatoes & veg
    Mon - Risotto with left over chicken meat & stock from carcass (plus a leek, onion, garlic, peas and whatever other veg I have)
    Tues - Spicy Sausage Pasta (Tinned toms, courgette, mushrooms, peppers & sausages) - I'll save some minus the sausage for LO the next day.
    Wed - Salade Nicoise - (Tuna, Eggs, baby new pots, olives, green beans & salad stuff) - some tuna & egg will be saved for LO's sandwiches next day plus cold pots as finger food.
    Thurs - Fahitas (as per kit but made with steak rather than chicken - prob cheating as not really home made)
    Fri - Pizza, garlic bread, wedges & salad
    Saturday - Spaghetti Bolognaise - I'll take out LO's portion before adding a stock cube or herbs.
    So there you go!

3. Great start, thanks wormburger! I'm trialling some new recipes this week so will let you know how it goes! A couple of ideas from me: I often make a lasagne on a Sunday (meat or veg) and then we reheat the leftovers for Monday- sits in the oven for about half an hour while we play with LO after work. As OH is away at the moment, LO and I had soup tonight (vegetable and lentil- she loved it! Potatoes, carrots, puy lentils, spinach, leeks, stock, chopped toms... could add anything at all!), cheese on toast and cucumber sticks (for LO while she waited for the soup) The rest of the soup is in little pots for lunches in the week. Tomorrow we're having fish fingers, oven chips and beans (not the healthiest I know, but the oven chips are only 3% fat and reduced salt and sugar baked beans are a good source of protein!) I am only just getting into fish- used to HATE it- so if anyone has some nice fish recipes that are inoffensive (ie not too fishy, lol!) that would be great! Thanks again for the thread- hope people add to it! x

4. Oh and we eat spag bol pretty much weekly- the 500g mince is enough for two portions for the three of us so one goes in the freezer.

5. Our LO is just starting to join in more with our meals. Things we have are, pasta with pesto, veg and cheese. Lamb casserole done in slow cooker (diced lamb, potato, carrot, courgete, swede, peas, onion or whatever veg you like, tin of chopped tomatoes, half a baby friendly vegetable stock cube, mixed herbs and mint). Cottage Pie, Spag bol or a mild chilli. He loves fish fingers with low salt and sugar beans with mash. Clematis, pesto works well with most fish, I love it smeared onto a salmon fillet. A mild fish pie with something like coley and prawns with a nice cheesy sauce is nice and not too fishy. LO may like it too x

6. We definitely have something made with mince every week too! Spag bol, lasagne, chilli, cottage pie. I tend to make a massive vat of mixture and then make a about 3 lasagnes to put in the freezer and use the leftover cheese sauce with some veg for LO.
    Clematis, I'm with you on the fish. There is an excellent 'meaty' salmon recipie on the Sainsburys website with bacon, spinach and onions which I serve with pasta. You can hardly taste the salmon at all!

7. Ooh thanks for the fish ideas! I'll look up some sainsbury's and fish pie recipes :) Re: freezing lasagne, how do you do it? Do you cook it completely then let it cool and freeze it?

8. I make the mince mixture and the cheese sauce and then layer it up with dried pasta sheets, wait for it all to cool and freeze it. It takes a while to defrost but once its defrosted it takes the normal amount of time to cook, about 45 mins. Having said that, a friend of mine says you shouldn't freeze pasta, but I don't know if that's cooked pasta? Google it!

9. What a minefield, lol! I tried to google it before and just got loads of replies from people on forums, that all differed! Obviously you do it and you haven't been poisoned yet ;-)

10. I make up a big pan of vegetable soup using up all the veg we've got left at the weekend, and that does lunches for me and lo all week.
    Sunday - tuna pasta bake, we make enough that it does the four of us and then one portion left which dd1 will have for dinner tomorrow.
    Monday - chicken coconut curry with rice. We make it with Thai style curry powder and coconut milk, then oh does something with peanut butter and we stick in whichever vegetables we fancy. We make it quite mild so lo eats it but the 11 year old won't so she has leftovers.
    Tuesday - Macaroni cheese. Usually add some broccoli, sweetcorn and carrots as these are the only veg the 11 year old will eat, and it's painful to sit and watch her pick veg out of food.
    Wednesday - something quick from the freezer [​IMG] Chicken nuggets and waffles, or fishfingers and oven chips. Lo usually gets homemade vegetable splats (supposed to be nuggets but splat is a more accurate description), or homemade fishcakes which I make in big batches and freeze. I don't give those to the rest of us cos then my big batch doesn't last more than 2 meals.
    Thursday - Chicken and vegetable risotto. We all eat this, so it's on the menu at least once a week.
    Friday - Spicy chicken and vegetable pasta.
    Saturday - vegetable lasagne. I make 2 and freeze one. I cook it completely and then split it into individual portions to freeze, then it's easy to reheat in the microwave for a quick dinner if needed.

11. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

Re freezing pasta: I cook the lasagne, wait for it to cool, and then freeze in individual portions in small freezer bags. I just get out what I need a few hours before and then stick in oven for 20 mins or so. You can do this with cannelloni too. I wouldn't try it with pasta that isn't stuffed and with a sauce to hold it together though.
    Will be adding my recipes to this list in due course, great idea!

12. Monday: Salmon with pasta and creme fraishe. Maybe pine nuts if I can afford them
    Tuesday: Beef stew- slow cooker (Double portions, half to freeze- including small pots for baby if we are eating a quick meal)
    Wed: chicken and chickpea curry- chicken, tinned toms, yogurt and spices.
    Thurs: Big salad of some sort with tuna, egg/
    Friday: Tomato and basil pasta
    Saturday: A quick and easy oven meal (eg pizza) and a frozen pot for the littley
    Sunday: Roast of some sort and left overs for lunches.

Baby generally eats what we eat. I have frozen weaning pots of various curry, chilli or stew in the freezer so if I ever really can't cook, I can do an easy meal for us and microwave her a pot up.
    Another week
    Monday: Chicken stir fry with sesame sauce
    Tuesday: Risotto (often good for left overs)
    Wed: Veg soup, brushetta type bread (pizza toast)- Littley uses the bread as a dip
    Thurs: Spag bol
    Friday: Veg chilli or meat chilli- double portions or from freezer.

13. Tonight I made risotto, just by frying garlic and leeks in oil and butter then adding rice, stock, frozen peas, fresh spinach and a little fresh parsley. Little girl LOVED it! So pleased. the only problem is OH- if I make this when he is at home it won't have enough meat in it for him, lol! What could I add to make it more carnivore-friendly? I suppose chicken? Or could I serve it with something like pork chops (which I've never cooked before) or maybe a fish opportunity?!

14. My LO loves risotto as well,,,, and I love cooking it as it is one pan to wash up. Actually, I love risotto anyway... just so yummy and gets rid of so many left overs. I add loads of Parmesan in to ours as well.. Mmmmm.
    I do a portion with bacon in for the husband- adds more flavour but too salty for babies. Left over chicken is good as well, you could get some cooked ham or pancetta and throw it in at the end. Or, if he likes shellfish - add prawns/mussels for a sort-of paella- but possibly not for babies, not sure what shellfish 'rules' are for them! Pretty much anything will go.

15. Lovely ideas - I'm working on an epic three week planner to coordinate with nursery lunches so the little man doesn't end up with the same thing twice in a day! My latest favourite thing is making really thick fruit purees to use as spreads on toast etc and in porridge. My current combos are dried apricot, mango and cinnamon; orange, apple, prune and clove; plum, cranberry and star anise.
    The plan this week has been:
    Sat: Lentil Curry with rice and veg
    Sun: Pasta and vege sauce
    Mon: Broccoli, tomato and onion quiche with new pots and asparagus
    Tues: Turkey Caesar Salad
    Wed: Green Thai fish curry with sticky rice (atttempting my own salt free curry paste tonight - we'll see how it goes)
    Thurs: Spag Bol
    Fri: Eating out with Tesco vouchers!
    Lunches tend to be leftovers, fruit, salad stuff, sandwiches ,cheese and crackers that sort of thing.
    We have meat/fish about half of the time and eggs/cheese/lentils for protein other days. My LO prefers strong flavours so lots of garlic, herbs and spices. He was unimpressedwith the quiche!
    I've really enjoyed taking LO to restaurants - my OH finds it stressful, but I always clean up the BLW mess!

16. Clematis, I make a risotto with a tin of butter beans/ cannelini beans in - not meat but is proteiny and filling! Don't know if this would be enough for your OH though!

17. Me too - I'm happy with veggie food, but my oh just moans. We always do risotto if we've had a roast chicken the day before and there are leftovers. Or you could use a fairly meaty fish like salmon or haddock.
    The Jamie Oliver 30 minute book is quite good - a few of the recipes have become staples now - we love the Jerk Chicken, Satay and Piri Piri. About once a fortnight we also have my favourite comfort meal: fishfingers (the huge battered ones from Waitrose are amazing), mash, peas and parsley sauce. Oh and sausages and bubble and squeak is a good one for using up leftover veg.
    On a bit of a tangent, but does anyone have any ideas for quick, tasty pack ups? The food in my school canteen is rubbish and I get so sick of just sandwiches, but I always feel lacking in inspiration.

18. Clematis, I was going to suggest bacon too, it's yummy but prob not for LO. Leeds, I'm impressed at you making your own curry paste! I just used normal stuff and hoped that it was diluted enough by the coconut milk and water that I put in.
    Miss tutu, I am not a sandwich fan so often used to take normal leftovers to school, pasta or rice dishes that could be eaten cold, even the remains of a stir fry. Left over spanish omlette is good too. Some robusts salads I took were coucous with chickpeas and a few other bits and pieces. Another v quick favourite is butter beans, tuna and cherry tomatoes, just put it all in a bit of tupperware with a bit of olive oil and black pepper and you're off. Greek salad is very portable too, feta, olives, cucumber, tomato and a bit of red onion.
    I'm impressed with those of you that have some meat free meals, we are definite carnivores in our house! I've already planned next weeks meals (I have to get my internet shop in early to get a good slot!) so here goes....
    Sunday - Roast Chicken (again!) - leftovers for sandwiches/salads in the week
    Monday - Carbonara - bacon, mushrooms, egg, cream, cheese.
    Tuesday - Chilli
    Wenesday - Chicken chow mein - pack of stir fry veg, noodles, chicken bit of 5 spice and soy sauce.
    Thursday - Lasagne and garlic bread - I'll make a vat of mixture and prob make 3 and freeze the 2 we don't eat.
    Friday - Mussles with baguette (straight out off pack from supermarket!)
    Saturday - Steak sandwich with Sweet Potato wedges and salsa - LO will have the wedges for lunch the next day
    This makes it look like we eat loads of red meat, which we don't normally. Altho, my parents are farmers so we are very lucky and get given lots of steak, sausages and mince for the freezer. My OH doesn't like pork so we rarely have that and we don't really have lamb (prob cause I don't get it for free!) and I don't really know what to do with it! Ideas welcome x

19. I'm going to attempt to make a baby-friendly curry this weekend :) Tonight was jacket potatoes with mushrooms, garlic, creme friache, parsley, spinach and a tomato and red onion salad- no meat again but got the recipe from a magazine. i really enjoyed it but LO wouldn't even touch it- when i asked, MIL said she'd had a chocolate biscuit as her late afternoon snack! Grr. Thanks for risotto suggestions- I think on Sunday I'll make a roast chicken and then do the risotto with chicken on Monday. I'm enjoying these new recipes and finding very quick nutritious meals to cook after work!

20. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

OH made a curry last night with a jar sauce with lots of nasties so he just left out LO's portion for me to blend and freeze, but added some tomato puree for flavour. So it was turkey steak, tomato puree, onions, celery and rice. She loved it! We have a nice little stock of freezer cubes for her now- roast lamb with trimmings, quality sausages mash and veg, stir fry, spag bol etc. He is making a cheesy fish pie tomorrow which should go down well. I'm really lucky that he likes to cook but you're right that nutiritious, quick meals can be made which are healthy too. I might make a lentil bake or casserole one afternoon that we can all eat.
    Can I ask a question re: baby food on holiday? We're going to the Isle of Wight next week, staying in an apartment in a holiday club... OH will do a supermarket run when we get there but I don't really want LO to eat jars all week. She's had them before but a week is quite a long time. Would it be ok to take some frozen cubes from our freezer in pots and keep in the fridge in the apartment? How long should we keep them for (they will defrost on the way). She has finger food too and will eat anything suitable from our plates if we go out to lunch/ dinner. Thanks x