1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mum's Christmas present.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kibosh, Oct 27, 2011.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Do you still think you have any choice in the matter? [​IMG]

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I hesitate to mention this but... if you give in aren't you setting a precedent? [​IMG]
    Also, could you afford to get/ make her something else for Christmas?

If it were me I'd let her have it as an "extra" and remind myself never to buy something that will go to her address.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

what is it?

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

If that had been in German I'd suspect you were my Mum!

Unless.....she's bribing you isn't she! She'll stop at nothing! She's promised you home-baked German Christmas goodies hasn't she!

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

No, it's just how my own mind works. Christmas isn't "right" if someone has nothing to open on Christmas day.

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Chopping boards/bread boards and rack.

7. This is probably going to sound a bit silly but what the heck...
    If this situation arises with one of my children I let them have the present early but then wrap up a picture of it (or the box it came in if there is one) for them to open on Christmas Day. It reminds them that they have already had something so whatever else there may be is a bonus!

8. grammarlady

grammarlady Occasional commenter

Aw, let her open her gift. She's 85.

9. Good idea. At 85, the recipient may have forgotten - though I do not get the impression that Beth's mother has lost any of her marbles! AND if she doesn't like it, she will know to wait next year!

10. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Go for it! My parents have had their present early. Got them an iPad2 with us moving and thought it made sense to give them a few tutorials before we left rather than send it at Christmas; where it would just have gathered dust as they wouldn't have known what the point was [​IMG] xx

11. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I'd give it to her now and, like someone else suggested, give her the birthday present for Christmas. Or something small.
    (Also hoping not to get a chopping board.... If I do his head is on it![​IMG])

12. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I like Gargoyle's idea of the photo and another small surprise wrapped up.I may pinch that idea for my son as his birthday is just after xmas and I was thinking about getting him one bigger thing.

13. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

The birthday present is something that can't be saved for Christmas.

I will probably give in and let her keep the present now, I like the idea of wrapping up the box!
    If my health allows, I'll possibly do a small embroidery or painting for her as a little surprise for Christmas Eve....There's still plenty of time!

And her present is not just a chopping board! It's boards (plural!!!!) and a storage unit...and it is what she wanted!

14. marlin

marlin Star commenter

My MiL is a similar age to your mum. We bought her a cupboard for her utility room a couple of years ago for Christmas. It was what she asked for too. When they get to that age it is more important to get things they really need, rather than wasting your money on something that they really don't want or need.
    If you have time and your health allows you to do a little painting or embroidery I think that would be lovely. Otherwise you could always get a little food treat.