1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mummification lesson idea, too much?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Benbamboo, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

Next term we are teaching Egyptians to Year 3 and 4. We always start our topics off with something 'different' - teachers and TAs dress up, we mix classes and rotate activities to make it memorable and start the topic off with a bang.
    This time around, I am focusing on mummification as my activity and want to make it exciting, as well as meeting the teaching objectives. I tried to think of how to make it exciting and thought of using animal organs as props (rather than just looking at pictures on paper/internet etc).
    I am in two minds. Firstly, as a child I would have loved this, I could also easily get hold of livers/kidneys from my butcher and most children in my school would have seen these before. On the other hand I don't know if this crosses a line into being somewhat mordib and disturbing.
    As it plays out in my head, the children would not be touching the organs as I would be demonstrating and this would lead into some instruction writing. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated though. As a kid I would have loved it, my wife instantly disliked the idea. Is it a bit too far?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Some plastic models might be better for the more sensitive souls. I too would have loved it, but lots of my class would have a fit at a picture let alone the real thing.

Don't forget you can use bathroom paper to let children wrap each other up as mummies.

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Im sure there are a few yr 3 in my class i might like to mummify! lol
    however you have health and saftey cocerns over hanlding raw meat and also the depiction might make a few .erm.squirm!.
    I have seen this done behind sheet as a sort of shadow play and it worked well as long as no bright spaprk gets behind to look...... nice grueseome comment sna screams also work well....especially if yu can rope in some realaly nice yr3 kid!......you could also mention the jars used to contian the bits and some of the tools..........or can you find the dvd terrible egyptians which i thnk sort of covers this a bit?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ooh, really like the sound of this. Don't know about health & safety issues though??
    They could make pickled internal organs (as imaginative as they can get) in glass jars (plastic). You could challenge teams to 'wrap their mummy' using toilet paper or use papier mache bodies to wrap using bandages. Possibilities are endless. Have a happy term.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

wonders if he really can entomb the naughty ones for a day if they dont behave lol
    i supposei crafts they could also try sycopaguses? or model staues and buildings.........would it be fair to make them haul large heay blogs over the playground....just 'so they can see what it was like?' lol

6. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

Phew, noone so far has gone "Ewww, that's awful!!"
    As I think it through, none of the children would be touching any raw meat. I would take them through the mummification process then they would write instructions for someone else to do it (in cartoon form/with pictures - not sure of the format yet).
    I just figured making it a bit gruesome and gritty would make the experience more memorable and inspiring.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

In general, the viscera were only mildly treated with natron (sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate, but not sodoum chloride) and placed in canopic jars. The main mummification process was with the carcase. Better to ask your butcher for an eviscerated rabbit carcase to mummify.

8. We recently tried mummifying bananas - followed procedure by making a slit on the left hand side, putting internal organs (actual fruit pulp) into canopic jars and stuffing with natron (bicarb and salt) we did then leave them for a few weeks, remove natron, repack with sawdust and wrap in bandages.