1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mumble Acting on tv

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Aug 17, 2019.

1. T34

T34 Established commenter

In the speaking, it's a lack of volume, sometimes amounting to total elision, on consonants, especially "t" and "s".
    This is to some extent exacerbated by the gradual loss of higher frequency hearing with age.

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It’s the lighting too, frequently. I don’t like those programmes that look as though the whole thing has been shot without benefit of any lighting.

It’s not atmospheric, it’s plain dull.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I am deafinately as deff as a leopard, though temporarily, I hope (I have an imminent appointment with a syringe).

Even when the lugs are functioning normally I have problems with the diction of some singers on TV because of their tendency to hold the mike in front of their mouths as if licking a lolly. Lip-reading can be an integral part of 'hearing'.

5. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

These days a lot of screen actors have never been on stage, so haven't learnt the importance of projecting (not needed on TV/film) or enunciating clearly. When they do go on stage, they are often awful.
    Weekly rep was a brilliant training school - now long gone.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes we have a sound bar - necessary in my view . Subtitles are a way of life for me. I would struggle massively without them

7. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Thats what happens if you go to Heavy Metal gigs,

:D

Oscillatingass likes this.