1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mum with depression

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nans, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hi all
    My mum has suffered from depression for many years. 12 years ago when I was still at school,she attempted suicide twice and was sectioned for about sx months, Her condition has been managed since with medication and she has been steadily getting better. She managed to come off the tablets a couple of years ago but went back on a low dose last summer after she found the death of a friend hard to cope with.
    Over Christmas my mum relapsed and is ill again. She has had to give up teaching (she is a prvate tutor) and has an urgent appontment with the doctor ths afternoon.
    I am finding this hard to cope with and keep crying. Going back to work was hard today and I have already been in tears twice. I am an only child and feel as though should be there supporting my mum and dad. They live 2 hours away so not too far but obviously can't be with them whlst I am working here.
    Any advice/thoughts appreciated

Nans

2. Hi all
    My mum has suffered from depression for many years. 12 years ago when I was still at school,she attempted suicide twice and was sectioned for about sx months, Her condition has been managed since with medication and she has been steadily getting better. She managed to come off the tablets a couple of years ago but went back on a low dose last summer after she found the death of a friend hard to cope with.
    Over Christmas my mum relapsed and is ill again. She has had to give up teaching (she is a prvate tutor) and has an urgent appontment with the doctor ths afternoon.
    I am finding this hard to cope with and keep crying. Going back to work was hard today and I have already been in tears twice. I am an only child and feel as though should be there supporting my mum and dad. They live 2 hours away so not too far but obviously can't be with them whlst I am working here.
    Any advice/thoughts appreciated

Nans

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

She's seeking help so that's the first thing to hold on to. There is a limit to what you can do to help and I guess supporting your dad is as important as anything. I'm thinking you've got to keep on top of things at work as well or you'll only get more stressed and upset. Maybe set up a regular time to text / phone for updates and just to chat so you can give him your full attention.
    Best wishes.

4. lindenlea is right. It is of course understandable that you are upset about your mum but it is important that you avoid as much stress as possible at work so that you are in a position to help your dad. Pehaps you can go and see them both at weekends and give your dad a bit of a break.
    Hope all goes well.for you and your family.