1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mum looking to work term-time only around children

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gdcollison, Aug 15, 2011.

1. I have been a maths teacher for 6years. started a family and now looking to be able use my skills in other areas that will help me work around my children- drop and pick them up from school and be with them during school holidays. Any Ideas? Suggesstions? are welcome. many thanks!!

2. I don't know if there are any suitable posts in industry - most of us on here work in education and most advice will relate to getting jobs in education.
    If you want to stay in education but be around to pick your children from school you've got two options (I think) 1) get a job at their school or 2) do private tuition in the evenings or weekends. Private tuition may be the best bet for using your skills as a maths teacher.
    Maybe a TA post at your children's school would be good - I can imagine a lot of Year 5/6 teachers would love having a TA who was a qualified maths teacher suporting in maths lessons.

3. nacca

nacca New commenter

I have a friend who does 1:1 tuition for primary schools. She manages to drop off her children and collect as she works in her local primaries and has a few 1:1 sessions outside 'normal' school hours in her children's school.
    When my children were younger, I looked into adult 'basics' lessons a few years ago through the local authority. That was within school hours or evening classes. Didn't do it as I found a part time post close to home. Good luck.

4. Many thanks, Nacca! your words have been helpful. I am contemplating the 1:1 or private tution option. but i just can think of the best way to inform my employer?

5. That's a really clever idea!! thank you! i'll look into it straight away.

6. Hi there i came accross your post and i was interested to find out how your friend registered for 1-1 tution.
    I have had training but i am unsure how to look for available jobs or schools look for 1-1.
    many thanks