1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Multiplication Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by baberara_2, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Hello,

I need help I have recently taken over a Year 1 class and I need to teach multiplication to them however the school I work at are very big on practical activities and no worksheets. I can think of loads of contexts for multiplication but I am struggling with independent activities on the tables. They are only at the stage of making lots of . Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

khill32 likes this.
  2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

My previous school were keen to avoid worksheets, too. One way to do that is to make strips of paper with questions on them (eg. 2x5, or word problems like "What is 2 lots of 5?") and put these all into a box. Pupils take one, represent it with counters/draw it with dots (whatever you want them to do), and write the question and answer into their book. They then bring the strip back and take another. Strips can be different colours for easy/medium/hard questions.

khill32 likes this.
  3. KS2History

KS2History New commenter

Some practical ideas of making lots of -

- Make playdough 'cookies' with buttons ('choc chips') to represent 'lots of - e.g 4 cookies each with 3 chocolate chips is 4 'lots of' 3 etc.

- Use plastic animals to print footprints in paint - a dog with four legs jump 5 times - 5 lots of 4.

- Build lego/multilink towers of, say, 3 cubes - 4 towers = 4 lots of 3 bricks.

- Use numicon if you have it.

- Bag raisins/marbles up into bags of 5 - 6 bags is 6 lots of 5 etc.

4. summlard

summlard New commenter

Is this just in the infants?

Surely by year 3/4 the children can cope with some questions on a page or am I being dull?

5. Thanks for all your advice, I will try some of this. Yeah it is infants its a year 1 class.