1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Multiplication Observation Help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by skt107, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I had a numeracy observation a few weeks ago and didn't do as well as I usually do (pressure of ofsted is looming) so now I'm doing another one and would really like some advice so that I can do this one as well as I can.
    It's Year 3 and I'll be on block E1. So I'm thinking by that time we'll still be focussing on multiplication. The focus is on the main activity and the plenary, making sure that every group of learners makes progress.
    I've got a few ideas - thinking of having a party theme and demonstrating number sentences using sweets/balloons etc (not sure how I'm going to implement this one yet though!). Extending HAs by __ x 3 = 21 (or perhaps even to the grid method - not sure which is best.
    Would really appreciate people throwing some ideas around with me...feeling like I'm losing my teaching sparkle a little bit [​IMG] but I love my job so really want to get it back!

2. Hi everyone,
    I had a numeracy observation a few weeks ago and didn't do as well as I usually do (pressure of ofsted is looming) so now I'm doing another one and would really like some advice so that I can do this one as well as I can.
    It's Year 3 and I'll be on block E1. So I'm thinking by that time we'll still be focussing on multiplication. The focus is on the main activity and the plenary, making sure that every group of learners makes progress.
    I've got a few ideas - thinking of having a party theme and demonstrating number sentences using sweets/balloons etc (not sure how I'm going to implement this one yet though!). Extending HAs by __ x 3 = 21 (or perhaps even to the grid method - not sure which is best.
    Would really appreciate people throwing some ideas around with me...feeling like I'm losing my teaching sparkle a little bit [​IMG] but I love my job so really want to get it back!

3. What about the link between the mult and div? Lots of practical work - sharing / grouping then recombining to show that they're inverse operations. Using arrays too, they clearly show the relationship. You could give some calcs eg 36 x 17 = 612 so 612 divide(!) 17 =? (I call this free gifts - if I give you one fact you know another 3 facts without having to do any working out!)
    You could end up with proper algebraic equations: a x b = c
    so
    c div b = ?
    b x a = ?
    c div a =?
    I've done this with year 3, looks pretty amazing but it's not that difficult to get them there!
    Good luck!

4. You can do that nicely with a triangle. I put the answer on the top point, then the two factors on the bottom. It helps them visualise the link between multiplication and division and once they get the hang of it, you can leave out one of the numbers and ask them to work it out. (Please excuse the dodgy formatting and imagine a beautiful triangle below)

36 __________17

36 x 17 = 612
    17 x 36 = 612
    612 % 17 = 36 (can't do a division sign!) etc.
    With the missing numbers, I'd use easier numbers though!

5. Hi all - after looking at our school calculation policy I have decided to go down the route of multiplication as repeated addition, using sweets to model. Highers will be solving _ x 3 = 12 for example.
    My query is whether or not they need to record the _ + _ + _ + _ = 12 (for example) or whether the practical application of showing it is enough?