1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Multiplication/division lesson - 25 mins - yr 4/5

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by dawn87, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Any ideas ....practical teaching episode bases on multiplication/division 25 mins mixed year 4/5

It's for an interview. Thanks :)

2. Any ideas ....practical teaching episode bases on multiplication/division 25 mins mixed year 4/5

It's for an interview. Thanks :)

3. Do you have to chose between multiplication or division and do one or the other? If so which are you most confident at? Or have you to look at them both and the relationship between them?
    Do you have any ideas as a starting point?

4. I don't know. That's what it said on the letter. I have tried to contact the school but it's the holidays!!

I do have an idea...but I think it's too long for my time length :/ basically I was going to look at inverses and then put the children into groups, so for example if they know 5x3=15 then they need to work out 15÷3=5. I was going to put them in groups of 5 in the hall and they have to work out the answer as a group before going to find out the answer placed around the hall somewhere.... not sure if it's too complicated in 25 mins tho as I'll need to do a starter and plenary as well. What do u think?

Thanks

5. Your idea sounds good, could be done as a race, I don't think this activity will take too long. What is your learning objective? I'd be a bit worried about a few things. Firstly, your differentiation. Your high abilities might be able to work this out quickly (especially if they have looked at this before) whereas the low ability might struggle? If you put them in groups, would the high abilities be doing all the work? How would you sort out the groups if you don't know individual children's abilities. I'd be tempted to do it in pairs at first then perhaps join the pairs up into mixed ability fours based on your observations. If it was in pairs, you can allocate jobs for each member. E.g they have to work together to get the answer; one can do the writing, the other can go stand next to inverse calcualation. Could have a help mat available for the LA, telling them how to set it out. I'd have incentives as well, e.g the first group to find the right answer around the hall gets a sticker.
    Secondly, You'd also have to request to use the hall as they will have allocated you a classroom to use, and to make sure it isn't timetabled for anything else. If you do use the hall, I think you will have to do your starter and plenary there, as you are not going to have enough time to do these in the classroom then move to the hall then back to the classroom (especially if it is not close). The starter you could have children up with flashcards showing a calculation and then the class have to re arrange the children in a different order to show the inverse. Then you could model how to write this down - give the a calacuation and then make them write it down on whiteboards. For your plenary, you could extend this to larger numbers to show the relationship is the same no matter the calculation. You could give children a calculation with three digit numbers and ask them to circulate and find their 'inverse partner' -sitting down when they have found them. Because this is a lot of moving around, I would use something such as a music instrument to keep their attention - make it clear at the start that if you use the instrument they have to stand still like statues or put their hands on their heads or something.
    Like I say good idea...just find out if you can use the hall! and be prepared for them to be noisy during a practical activity! The only downside is that you wouldnt be using ICT, but you could still write this on the lesson plan about how you would use it if it was a full hour lesson. It should be fine if you stick to time limits. Good luck.

6. elissag

elissag New commenter

Think it a good idea. In terms of differentiation, how about posing the question - what else do you know? If good maths teaching has happened the children should know 15/5=3 and link 150/50=3. Perhaps then challenge how many links can you make and can you explain them? My only advice is to keep that learning obj tight. If you can't get the hall, what about using the same idea but with a target board and white boards. Using 3 numbers, make a multiplication. A board with decimals up to hundreds will soon weedle out your differentiation. A quick mini plenary will give you success criteria for AFL. Sorry getting a bit carried away now. Hope this helps.

7. Thank you so much for your ideas :)

8. Any advice on which LO would best suit:

To use multiplication facts to help me solve division questions OR Use inverse division.

Thanks again everyone x